Harvest healthy habits by gardening at home

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

Bewitched by $5 meal deals at Taco Bell, Panda Express, Rubio’s Mexican Grill and Sub Connection, it is only natural for students to lose sight of the nutrients their bodies need in favor of saving money. Most students are aware of the absence of their vital vittles and are frustrated at the lack of alternatives.

The sad fact is junk food is too convenient and healthy food is too expensive. The optimal diet for a student, a diet most conducive to studying, requires produce rich in nutrients. But who can afford to walk the organic aisle these days or take the time out of their busy schedules to stroll through a farmers market?

The solution: Build a home vegetable garden.

“A home garden is so rewarding in so many ways,” Tara Kelly, Associated Students sustainability commissioner and chair of Green Love, said. “It’s gratifying to take the time and plant something, watch it sprout, watch it grow, watch it blossom, then use it to make delicious, healthy food.”

Building a custom home garden may be easier than expected, and though the process requires some commitment, many simple methods exist to get herbs and veggies growing in no time.

When putting together a home garden, there are a few important aspects to consider.

First, location and structure are key. Choosing an area with abundant sunlight and fresh air can make or break the success of the crop.

If residence hall space is all that’s available, windowsill areas are likely the only workable environments for prospective growers. Typically, container potting is the best method for confined spaces such as these. Cutoff two-liter bottles make ideal containers for potting. Poking holes in the bottom will allow the irrigation runoff to seep out into a collection basin placed underneath. Sunlight can be supplemented by a compact fluorescent lightbulb, which is compatible with any desk lamp and should be placed a few inches above the plants.

A raised garden bed is optimal for plant growth and most convenient for students with more space, even if it’s only a small area in the front yard or on a rooftop. A planter box can be built with just wood and soil and is easy to disassemble and remove if necessary.

Next comes the fun part: choosing the crop. It is important to be aware of the types of vegetables that can or cannot grow given certain conditions. Typically, vegetables such as lettuce, peppers and tomatoes thrive during this time of year, as do radishes, peas, onions and spinach. Some crops need more light than others. So, consulting a horticulturalist may be the best way to decide what the crop should include.

“We grow peas, beans, herbs and lettuce in the side yard of our apartment,” former San Diego State student and home gardening enthusiast Kristyn Lum said. “A small dowel can be used to support the beans or peas, and we don’t grow carrots because they typically need more root space than we have to work with.”

For residence halls and apartments with limited space, herb gardens are the best option. Just about any herb will grow at this time of the year as long as it has enough light, fresh air and water.

Although not an herb, lettuce is another resilient plant that doesn’t take up too much space and could be included in a college-friendly garden. Students working with limited lighting in the residence halls should place the taller growing plants behind the smaller herbs to ensure the entire crop receives abundant sunlight.

Building a garden indoors may seem unrealistic, but Kelly said the process is entirely possible and worth the effort.

“I would tell anyone interested to definitely try it out,” Kelly said. “They will be rewarded by learning the process. There’s nothing like having fresh, pure veggies that are not doused in pesticides and injected with hormones, and it’s amazing to know that you grew it yourself.”

Kelly’s organization, Green Love, works with Victory Gardens San Diego, an extension of the non-profit environmental organization San Diego Roots Sustainable Food Project, to educate young people and help them start their own crops. The current project involves helping willing participants transform their front lawns into organic vegetable gardens.

“We will help students build their garden and monitor it for the first few weeks,” Kelly said. “We teach them what they need to know and then leave the rest up to them.”

For information and assistance in starting a garden, visit the Green Love website at as.sdsu.edu/greenlove.