Opinion: Make former press secretary Sean Spicer irrelevant again

When faced with such big threats to minority rights, women’s rights and democracy in America it’s tempting to take whatever allies possible in the effort to stop these threats. This applies even to those who once sought out to inflict injustices and to advance racism.

History is filled with examples of those who once fought for evil purposes, but later redeemed themselves. Such as Oskar Schindler, the Nazi spy who saved thousands of Jews during the Holocaust, or Robert Byrd, a former Klansman who later renounced his racist ways and championed civil rights and liberties while serving in the US Senate.

These days, many in the left are hoping a former Trump administration official will renounce his old ways. And in doing so, begins to turn the majority of Republicans against Trump — averting the crisis in today’s democracy and beginning the process of healing this divided nation.

However, former White House press secretary Sean Spicer is not that guy.

Spicer’s surprise appearance at the Emmys was met with the attendees’ shocking embrace of him.

Spicer may not have been a policymaker, but what he did do was defend abhorrent, racist policies, and undermined public trust in the media. All while limiting the public’s access to the White House.

Spicer was the public face of one of the Trump administration’s most horrendous actions, the two separate bans on immigrants from several predominantly Muslim countries. These bans not only impacted diplomatic relations with the affected nations, but also kept families apart and contributed to making American Muslims feel like second-class citizens in their own country.

Spicer also served as the point man for the Trump administration’s assault on the media and the decision to block certain news organizations from attending press briefings if Trump considered them to be too hostile.

Forgiveness is important — allies are necessary in an effort to limit the damage that the Trump administration will do for the next few years. If Spicer had taken time after his departure before returning to the public eye, and if he had repented for his actions under the Trump administration, then forgiveness could have been an option.

But neither of those things occurred. Spicer was angling for a new job a month before he had left office, and started appearing on late-night shows almost immediately after vacating his post as White House Press Secretary.

He has yet to truly apologize or redact statements he made.

New allies — particularly those who once worked for the President, will be valuable as the attempt is made to preserve the rights of women, ethnic and racial minorities, the LGBTQIA+ community, Muslims and any other groups that the current administration might target. But Sean Spicer is not an ally. For his defense of oppression and his propaganda campaign from the White House podium — he must be condemned and ostracized.

Chance Page, Staff Writer
Chance Page is a senior studying journalism.