The Beatles wipes slate clean

Courtesy of beatles.com
Courtesy of beatles.com

The Beatles’ peaked at No.1 since its reception and remained there until each member went their own way in 1970. Each album by the “fab five” is significant from start to finish. There’s a reason every studio album by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr reached No.1.

No other heavy hitters can claim that. For whatever reason, “The White Album,” always seems to be prominant. Although listeners can easily drift from one Beatles album to the next, they can do so with complete satisfaction. That’s one of the many pleasures with the Liverpudlians — so much timeless material in such a small period of time that will never happen again.

Yet, the aura of “The White Album” is as fresh as the cover. The amount of material contributes to such a feeling — it was the first double album of rock ‘n’ roll. The time of its release was equally important, as 1968 was such a glorious time for the genre. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, as well as other soon-to-be crowned rock legends, were still around.

Much credit should be given to The band’s album “Music From Big Pink” after surfacing out of the confines of Woodstock, NY. From the seeming simplicity of “Blackbird” and sneering “Revolution,” to the saloon theme “Rocky Raccoon,” “The White Album” began paving another road for The Beatles.

The Beatles wipes slate clean