Commuters should be given same benefits as other students on campus

San Diego State’s number of undergraduate applications soared to an all time high for fall 2018. The total number of applications reached 93,610 — more than any other CSU.

The rise in applications is beneficial to the university, however, those who are already enrolled are being left out of many decisions.

Commuter students especially will never see the benefits of the new housing renovations and are only being inconvenienced with a more crowded campus.

There is a disconnect between commuter students and the rest of the campus community, which is not being addressed by the university.

The well-being of commuter students does not seem to be on the administration’s radar because their sights are set on attracting incoming freshman — particularly those that are coming from out of state because they pay higher tuition.

Spending should also go towards services commuter students can benefit from. Such services include new parking structures.

Commuters do not pay as much to the university, which is probably why they are pushed to the side.

They do not pay for on-campus housing nor do they pay the extra $11,880 in fees that out of state students are charged.

Out of state students and those that live on campus get preferential treatment with new amenities that commuters have no use for.

SDSU should not be looking to increase the campus population until it can take care of the needs of the students it already has.

Expansion and growth of the campus are good, but new amenities and buildings should serve all students and not be limited to incoming students.

Housing around the SDSU area is a necessity, but the new construction should also include new spaces that are applicable to commuters as well such as expanding learning centers, recreational facilities or other amenities anyone on campus can enjoy.

Commuters pay tuition too, and they should have the same benefits other students have. We are all students and should be treated equally despite the different tuition prices.