The 2019 Oscars were truly monumental

The night was filled with groundbreaking firsts, catered to all audiences and showcased diversity in the film industry for an under-fire Hollywood. 

The 91st Academy Awards may have been one of the most monumental Oscars to date. 

Some highlights included gender-bending red-carpet moments, a controversial “best motion picture” and “best actress,” touching live performance from

A Star is Born, and the fact that there was no host for the first time in 30 years.

The night began with the iconic and classic red-carpet outfit showdown. 

Although the simply styled gowns and solid colors were the most popular theme of the night, the gender-bending outfits made their own monumental statement. 

The show-stopping “look of the year” was from Billy Porter, he was wearing a Christian Siriano velvet tuxedo jacket over a ball gown skirt, defining that masculinity has many forms. 

One of the most fitting gowns was worn by Gemma Chan from “Crazy Rich Asians”, in a hot pink Valentino expanding frill gown (with pockets!). 

Even Lady Gaga was spotted, without her meat-dress, in a “mistress of the dark” long gown, designed by the one and only Alexander McQueen.

Adam Lambert opened the show by performing a tribute to Queen, including “We will rock you” and “We are the champions.”

Although Kevin Hart was set to host the 91st Academy Awards, he dropped in early December due to his controversial personal tweets. 

The night continued without a host, or just all Hollywood stars rotating the position throughout the night. 

Another monumental performance was by the iconic Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, singing “Shallow” from A Star is Born. 

Without a dry eye in the audience, the song won an Oscar for “best original song.” 

The awards were spread evenly, and there was no film that won an overwhelming number of awards.

The takeaway for best actor was no shock, Rami Malek from Bohemian Rhapsody. 

The most shocking award was when Olivia Colman from The Favourite won the best actress, over Glenn Close for The Wife. 

Twitter was filled with overwhelming backlash and criticism for the non-popular pick. 

The night wrapped up Green Book for best picture. 

Green Book’s theme was about portraying a touching story that showed unity across race and demographic background, which is fitting for present society. 

Part of the acceptance speech touched the audience’s hearts, just like the film: 

“We made this movie with love.

“We made this with tenderness.

We made it with respect.”

Although Hollywood has been under fire for lack of diversity in gender and race, the 91st

Academy awards highlighted the changes that have been seen in films. 

It presented to society the changes, and how the viewers are the “reason for the season.”

Natalie Borton is a junior studying journalism.

The 2019 Oscars were truly monumental