Baseball releases 2020 schedule that features a plethora of tough non-conference opponents

Then-freshman pitcher Aaron Eden throws a pitch during the Aztecs’ 4-2 loss to the University of San Diego on Feb. 26 at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

San Diego State baseball’s schedule has been announced for the 2020 season. The schedule features games versus multiple Power 5 schools, Big West opponents and dates for the 2020 Mountain West tournament that will be hosted by the Aztecs. 

The Power 5 opponents:

The Aztecs (32-25, 16-13 MWC in 2019) are set to face off against eight teams from four different Power 5 schools which include teams from the Pac-12, ACC, Big Ten and Big 12. 2018 NCAA National Champions Oregon State comes to Tony Gwynn Stadium for a four-game series starting on Feb. 27. Last season, the Aztecs split a two-game road series versus the then-No. 6/7 Beavers. SDSU will also make a road trip for a three-game series against Oklahoma before they host TCU for a home game at Tony Gwynn Stadium. SDSU dropped a home game to Oklahoma 1-0 during last season’s Tony Gwynn Classic in the only 2019 matchup between the Aztecs and the Sooners.

The Coastal Carolina Tournament:

SDSU will begin its 2020 season in South Carolina against Virginia Tech during the Coastal Carolina tournament that begins on Feb. 14. SDSU will also square off against defending Sun Belt tournament champions and 2016 NCAA National Champions Coastal Carolina. The Aztecs are scheduled to wrap up the tournament with a game against UNC Greensboro before they return home to play their season home opener versus Cal State Fullerton.

The 2020 Tony Gwynn Classic:

The Aztecs will host the 2020 Tony Gwynn Classic from Feb. 21 to 23, and their opponents include Iowa, Nebraska and Southern California – all of which hail from Power 5 conferences. SDSU went 2-1 in the 2019 Tony Gwynn Classic with wins against Kansas State and Utah. 

The Mountain West schedule:

Mountain West Conference play begins for the Aztecs at Tony Gwynn Stadium in a three-game series versus New Mexico starting on April 3. SDSU’s first conference road test will come against the newly joined conference foe, Boise State (The Broncos baseball program was discontinued in 1980, and 2020 will be the program’s first year back). The last two series of the season for the Aztecs will include a three-game series at home versus MWC opponent Nevada and then a road series against defending conference champion Fresno State for the Aztecs’ only conference games against the Bulldogs. SDSU will also host a non-conference tournament at Tony Gwynn Stadium against MWC foes that include: Fresno State, San Jose State and UNLV from March 27-29. The tournament games, however, will not count towards the MWC standings.

The Mountain West tournament: 

Having already claimed five MWC tournaments in the last seven years, the Aztecs could have the chance to claim another title on their home field. Tony Gwynn Stadium was announced as the site for the 2020 MWC tournament from May 21-24. The last time SDSU hosted the conference tournament, the championship game ended with the Aztecs celebrating on their home field after defeating UNLV 14-5. The 2019 season ended for the Aztecs after losing in a double-elimination road game to Nevada.

Daniel Guerrero
Daniel Guerrero, '20 Mundo Azteca Editor
Daniel Guerrero is a senior pursuing a degree in journalism who will graduate in December 2020. He is from Anaheim, California and is a transfer student from Fullerton College. He is a lifelong baseball fan and a Disneyland nerd. Daniel's career goal is to be a member of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.