SDSU shuts out Colorado State to record first conference win of season

Kareem Jones
Freshman forward Rachelle Elve (28) celebrates with her teammates after scoring a goal during the Aztecs’ 2-0 win over Colorado State on Sept. 29 at the SDSU Sports Deck.

San Diego State women’s soccer won its first Mountain West Conference match of the season against Colorado State, pulling through with a 2-0 shutout Sunday at the SDSU Sports Deck. 

This game comes just two days after a 3-2 conference loss to Wyoming on Friday. 

However, the Aztecs saw two goals by senior forward Darcy Weiser and sophomore forward Taylor Moorehead go in the final 10 minutes, which generated positive momentum heading into Sunday’s victory. 

Head coach Mike Friesen’s primary focus is on continuous team development, and he said Friday’s goals were huge for the Aztecs’ continued success on the field. 

“(Friday’s goals) really triggered like, ‘Oh, that does happen when we do these things,’” Friesen said. “The hard work they’ve put in is paying off, and they’re seeing those results and benefits.” 

“I think this is a great building block for what’s coming,” he added. 

SDSU junior midfielder Chloe Frisch got the offense started with a goal near the end of the first half, firing the ball into the back of the net in the 41st minute. Frisch followed that up with an assist to freshman forward Rachelle Elve, yielding the match’s second and final goal in the 52nd minute. 

The Aztecs now sit 2-6-1, but Frisch said these past two matches can potentially be a turnaround for the rest of the season. 

“I think that the end of that Wyoming game, when we started scoring goals, things just started clicking for us,” Frisch said. “From this entire game, things have clicked, and that was a turning point for us.” 

However, despite the Aztecs’ win, the Rams had several scoring opportunities. Colorado State produced a total of 10 shots (three on goal), eight of which took place in the first half. 

SDSU senior goalkeeper Brooke Lisowksi was able to snag all the balls that came her way, tallying up a total of three major saves. 

Lisowski said a major factor in her team’s ability to win was its positive mentality going into Sunday’s match.  

“Attitude was pretty much everything that kept us forward,” Lisowski said. “I try not to think about the past (losses) too much, because if we did, we’re gonna come into the game with a negative attitude.”

Freisen seconded Lisowski’s comments. 

“It’s massive,” he said of the team’s positive attitude. 

Aside from upholding a positive mindset, Freisen also hopes to develop within his players a fierce mentality when it comes to playing at home. 

With two upcoming back-to-back upcoming matches on the Aztecs’ home turf, Freisen said he is excited for what’s to come. 

“This place will be a place where we win games and we’ll be very difficult to beat,” he said. “I can’t wait for next weekend.” 

The Aztecs’ next game will be this Friday, Oct. 4 against UNLV at the SDSU Sports Deck. 

Reese is a third-year media studies student at SDSU. She is from San Diego, CA and has a passion for sports and storytelling. This is her first year writing and reporting for The Daily Aztec, and she is excited to continuously build her knowledge of both sports and journalism. Reese is also a member of Sports Business Initiative, and is Senior Editor of Her Campus SDSU. She is a fan of the San Diego Padres, San Diego Gulls and Los Angeles Clippers. Reese aspires to one day work alongside athletes as a sidelines reporter covering the MLB or the NBA. Follow her on Twitter @reesesavoie.
Kareem Jones, Staff Photographer
Kareem is in his fourth year at San Diego State University where he studies Journalism with an emphasis in Media Studies. He is a sports staff writer and photographer for The Daily Aztec and has experience covering a variety of sports such as football, men and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, and women’s lacrosse. He is also a contributor for fi360news.com. As a photographer, Kareem enjoys telling stories through his images, painting the perfect picture for his audience. He loves sports and has aspirations on working for ESPN in the future. Follow Kareem on Twitter @noblee_k, Instagram @noblee.k and/or his photography Instagram page @flicksbyreem to stay tuned on his future endeavors.