A letter to the freshman class of 2021

Dear Freshmen:

Freshman year was one of the most difficult transitions ever. Not because I was leaving my family or childhood friends, but because it was the official transition into adulthood.

Regardless, it has been the most fulfilling year of my life thus far.  

I lost a couple of friends, cried a lot, got discouraged and wanted to give up one too many times  — but above all, I learned more about myself. For one, it confirmed what I already suspected —sharing a living area with more than a few girls is destined to lead to drama. And also that learning to cook is a must — freshmen 15 is silent, yet deadly with the way it creeps up on you. Lastly, but most importantly, trying new things isn’t something to fear, but rather something to invite with optimism.  

Doubting yourself is all a part of the process. Being unsure of what you want to do or where you want to go is normal.

Don’t be afraid to tell your parents that you don’t want to go to medical school or that two more years of schooling after your undergrad just isn’t in your plans. Don’t be afraid to switch your major a million different times until you find the one that fits you.

Join the club that looks interesting, even if it doesn’t relate to your major – who knows, you might end up finding a new career or a different interest.

Join the fraternity or sorority that looks like loads of fun, you might end up meeting your lifelong best friends.

Sit in the front on the first day of class. Introduce yourself to your professor. Raise your hand. Be the brown-noser that your friends may tease you for.

Get to know the students in your class. Trust me, all-nighters are a lot more bearable when you have your classmates by your side.

Set goals for yourself and if you happen to fall short, try again.

Take advantage of dorm life and the luxury of leaving for class five minutes before it starts.

Above all the chaos that is freshman year, the most important piece of advice is: pursue your happiness. Do what makes sleeping at night that much easier for you.

And know that it is okay to be vulnerable, to be unsure and to feel lost. But don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Freshman year is the year of exploration. Just be happy, have fun protect yourselves, and please, be kind to yourselves.

It’ll all work out in the end — even if you have to jump through a few hoops and burn a couple of bridges in the process.

Kemi Giwa, Opinion Editor
Kemi is a fourth-year public relations major with a minor in political science. Her interests include politics and racial justice.
A letter to the freshman class of 2021