AS announces new representatives, Ward elected president

Jenna Mackey, Photo Editor

The results for the spring 2015 Associated Students elections were announced Thursday evening at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union’s Montezuma Hall.

Seventy-five candidates applied for the 32 available elected positions.

While A.S. had a 20 percent voter turnout goal, its preliminary numbers showed a 14 percent voter turnout, an increase from 9.9 percent last year.

The new A.S. president elect is Blaire Ward, who received a total of 2,183 votes, beating Chelsea Baer with 972 votes and Jeremy Zaida with 449 votes.

“I was so grateful because I have been working toward this for four years,” Ward said. “Hearing that I was elected to be the A.S. president was the best moment of my life.”

Ward is currently a representative for the Student Diversity Commission and has been working with A.S since her freshman year.

“When I came to San Diego State University I was super shy and quiet, and I didn’t know where I belonged, so I wasn’t very happy,” Ward said. “I was walking with my head down and tears streaming down my face at orientation and it was the worst day ever, but I walked down Campanile and someone pulled me off the side of the road and said to me ‘I see purpose in you and you should join A.S.’ and so that’s when I joined (the Freshman Leadership Experience team).”

The elected A.S. vice president for the 2015 school year is Leo Carrillo, who received 1,430 votes.

Carrillo ran against Kyle Murphy, who received 1,245 votes, and Trevor Yarnall, who received 896 votes. Carrillo is the only executive representative elect that is not from Ward’s slate.

“Unbelievable, unreal, and blessed were the words that came into my head when everyone told me that I won, because I didn’t believe it,” Carrillo said. “I just did my best and whatever I could do, so to hear that I had won is absolutely unreal.”

The next vice president of external relations is Tyler Aguilar, elected with 1,514 votes.

Dominic Bilotti was elected vice president of financial affairs with 1,929 votes.

The elected vice president of student affairs is Andrea Byrd with 1,717 votes.

Ward and her fellow student leaders will be sworn in on April 23.

“After four years I understand that A.S. sees that leaders are born at all different times, and this position is really a microphone for all the students,” Ward said.

This story has been updated. It previously incorrectly stated the elected representatives would be sworn in on April 29. The Daily Aztec apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused.