Crime and incident report: Sexual battery, indecent exposure in the student union

Handcuffs+icon

Sexual Battery

A man was arrested after he allegedly sexually assaulted four San Diego State students between 12 and 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 28. In the first incident, two SDSU students reported they were touched inappropriately near Aztec Corner Apartments on Montezuma Road. Around 1:15 a.m. that same morning, two more SDSU students told police they were groped on the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union pedestrian bridge. The suspect, a non-student identified as Minda Shewangizaw, was located by officers soon after the second incident and was arrested on suspicion of sexual battery, touching a person intimately and annoying a minor. He was taken to county jail.

Trespassing

Campus police responded to a trespassing call near Scripps Cottage at 8:12 a.m. on Aug. 28. Police were told a man was sleeping outside nearby with a blanket and backpack in his possession. It is unknown whether the man was a student. Officers advised the man that he was in violation of SDSU’s campus policies, and he agreed to leave the area.

Indecent Exposure

Police were informed of a man allegedly exposing and touching himself in a student union elevator at about 2 p.m. on Aug. 26. The man, who was not an SDSU student, was arrested and taken to county jail.

Mentally Ill Person

Officers responded to a report of a man harassing customers and yelling incoherently at the Starbucks in the student union at about 5:45 p.m. on Aug. 26. The man was reported as possibly being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. As the man headed  toward Chipotle, he was intercepted by campus police and taken to a community mental health center for further evaluation.

Suspicious Person

A man was reported to have threatened a lifeguard at the Aztec Aquaplex at 5:26 p.m. on Aug. 28. The man allegedly said he was going to kill the lifeguard, but did not possess any weapons. When responding officers arrived, the man was in the pool. Police determined  there was no valid threat, but the man agreed to leave at the request of Aquaplex staff.

Sarah Anderson
Sarah Anderson, Staff Writer