Fashion Fiends only

Courtesy of Fashion Fiend’s Instagram
The club took a group photo at their latest meeting.

San Diego State recently gained a new fashion club.  

Fashion Fiends is SDSU’s only official fashion organization that revolves around creativity and collaboration. The organization was created by business management junior and president Alexya See after she realized the university didn’t have anything closely related to fashion besides a costume class in the drama department.  

See originally had an art minor and tried to go down the design route by taking art and design classes to fulfill her creative side. However, See realized it felt more like a responsibility than something she really wanted to do. Instead, she wanted to follow her passion for fashion and created the organization to support her interest and unite other fashion enthusiasts.

“I know I wasn’t the only person who felt this way, like, ‘Wow I’m so interested in fashion, but the school has nothing to offer,’” See said. “I feel like starting this organization is something that will most definitely open a gateway and provide more options for people who are interested in fashion.” 

Those involved with the club can expect fun activities such as designing and creating clothes. The club’s first general body meeting dealt with patchwork where members and officers each chose a patch of fabric and collaboratively decided where to sew each patch on the back of a vintage denim jacket.

See also teased what’s to come at the end of the semester. 

“Stay tuned, there’s going to be a fashion show at the end of the semester that’s going to be with everything we have created throughout the year,” See said. 

Fashion Fiends will be looking for models, photographers and makeup artists as the event draws near. 

Kinesiology junior Raven Epps has a love for fashion and decided to get involved in the fashion club. Epps is looking forward to what this organization has to offer. 

“I hope to gain knowledge about creation and how to express yourself through fashion,” Epps said. 

Although Fashion Fiends is new to campus, cellular and molecular biology junior and vice president Gabrielle Harris made it clear that all types of creatives are welcome to be a part of this club. 

“I want everyone here to know that there’s a place where they can be creative and collaborative … I want it to be a safe space for everyone to do anything fashion related, photography related, anything like that,” Harris said.  

Fashion Fiends holds its meetings on Fridays at noon in the Black Resource Center backyard. For more updates and information about events, check them out on Instagram  @fashionfiendssdsu. 

Fashion Fiends only