Post-game recap: Aztecs fall to No. 21 Tar Heels

The No. 21 North Carolina Tar Heels defeated San Diego State 31-27, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

UNC was able to overcome a 21-7 deficit midway through the third quarter en route to squashing the Aztecs’ chance for an upset.

SDSU got on the board first in the second half, when sophomore running back Donnel Pumphrey found the end-zone on a three yard rush, his second of the game.

UNC would answer back on their next drive, going 65 yards on four plays, and scoring on an 11-yard reception from wide receiver Quinshad Davis.

One of the biggest weaknesses for the Aztecs last year, became a strength in this game, when junior kicker Donny Hageman nailed a 49-yard field goal, giving SDSU a 24-14 lead.

That lead would be cut down on the very next drive when UNC quarterback Marquise Williams connected with Mack Hollins on a 91-yard touchdown reception, the third longest play in school history.

SDSU quickly stopped the momentum though, when Hageman stepped up and drilled another field goal, this one from 40 yards, putting the Aztecs up by a touchdown 27-21.

The Tar Heels would then go on to take their first lead since the first quarter on an 80-yard drive, which ended on an Elijah Hood two yard rushing touchdown.

The Aztecs next drive would end with an interception, after Quinn Kaehler was picked off by Brian Walker for the second time of the game, giving the Tar Heels great field position. UNC kicker Nick Weiler would go on to kick a 23-yard field goal.

With less than a minute left the Aztecs marched into the end-zone, trailing 27-31, but Kaehler threw his third interception of the night, this one to Tim Scott in the end-zone.

Kaehler played well for some of the game, throwing for 341 yards on 23 completions with a touchdown. He also threw three interceptions, one of which went for a touchdown. His latest pick was in the end-zone during the team’s final drive, sealing the victory for the No. 21 team in the nation.

Pumphrey had another impressive game, rushing for 100 on 17 carries and scoring two touchdowns. It was his fifth 100-yard rushing game as an Aztec.

Sophomore wide receiver Eric Judge had a breakout game grabbing three passes for 94 yards, and a touchdown.

Williams played much better in the second half, throwing for two touchdowns and finishing the game with 255 yards passing and 63 yards rushing, both led the team.