Study breaks at State feature therapy dogs and midnight breakfast

San Diego State will be hosting events during finals week that can help students stay relaxed and perform well on tests.

MIDNIGHT STUDY BREAK

SDSU Aztec Nights is hosting Midnight Study Break Pajama Jam from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 14 in Montezuma Hall.

SDSU Graduate Assistant Jessi Moore said the event will include a free breakfast for students with vegan and gluten-free options and will be giving out prizes, scantrons, pens and pencils.

“Some of the bigger prizes are a bike, crockpot, toaster oven, coffee maker, bean bag chairs, blankets and athletic gear,” Moore said.

She said Cal Coast Credit Union donated three $50 Visa gift cards to be raffled off.

Moore said there will also be a best-dressed pajama contest, “old school” dance battle, SDSU trivia, balloon art and face painting.

Moore said she is most excited to see the reactions of the students who win the raffled-off prizes.

“This event is an Aztecs tradition and it is a great way to take a break from studying and gain some stress relief and relief from studying,”  Moore said.

The master of ceremonies for the night will be Homecoming Royalty winners Jason Ogbeide and Taylor Lemker.

Senior accounting major Ogbeide said he is excited to interact with the crowd and have them participate in the activities.

“It’s much more fun that way and makes our job a whole lot easier,” he said.

Ogbeide said it is important for students to go to the Midnight Study Break to  recharge.

“Studying too much in one sitting is counterproductive, especially on an empty stomach,” he said. “Coming to the event encourages the school to organize more fun programs that support students’ academics.”

THERAPY DOGS IN LOVE LIBRARY

Baxter, SDSU’s resident therapy dog, will be in the Love Library Dec. 14-Dec. 16. He will be in the library from noon to 2 p.m. on Dec. 14, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Dec. 15 and 10 a.m. to noon on Dec. 16.

Finley, another therapy dog, will be in the Love Library from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Dec. 19 and 20.

“(These dogs) provide an opportunity for the students to take a break, relax and distress,” Director of Counseling and Psychological Services Jennifer Rikard said. “Therapy dogs are helpful in decreasing blood pressure, increasing the feel-good hormones and even improving concentration.”

FINALS RELAXER SERIES

Commuter Life is hosting a Commuter Finals Relaxer Series. The series will take place on the weekdays from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 15 to Tuesday, Dec. 20. The series will be in the Commuter Resource Center.

“The Commuter Resource Center will be available to relax and destress during finals,” Student Life Advisor Melissa A. Gonzalez said.

Jasmine Bermudez, Assistant News Editor
Jasmine Bermudez is the assistant news editor at The Daily Aztec. She is a fourth year journalism major and political science minor at San Diego State.