Op Ed: Here are some of the candidates for the colleges

Jaqueline+Alvarez
Jaqueline Alvarez

Among the wide coverage of the upcoming A.S. elections, there is a group of students running to be representatives who are deserving of recognition.

Here are the candidates:

Samantha Ledesma, College of Professional Studies of Fine Arts

Jazmin Avalos, College of Sciences

Farris Nabulsi, College of Sciences

Kayla S. Ortiz, College of Business

Cynthia Medina, College of Business

Carlos Perez, College of Arts & Letters

Brie Hornig, College of Arts & Letters

“Being the voice of representatives for students, the student body can move transparently to a direction that can guarantee more opportunities and become an outreach link in order to promote student involvement,” said Samantha Ledesma, who is running for the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts.

Ledesma sees a brighter future for PSFA; one example in how she plans on improving student relations is encouraging PSFA alumni to connect with current students.

“Underrepresentation is a critical issue in student affairs,” said Brie Hornig, candidate for College of Arts & Letters. “Faculty and students need a direct link to make sure the needs of students are addressed and made into a reality but in order for that to be effective, other things need to happen besides A.S. merely reaching out.”

An important concern is the lack of knowledge about the resources that SDSU offers to students; therefore, current students and future students need to be made aware of resources available, she said.

Encouraging student outreach efforts is an important element in the progress of creating a more supportive student environment, said Farris Nabulsi , candidate for College of Sciences.

“(The primary objective) is to continue what the College of Sciences is doing well, but improving on what needs to be better,” he said.

Nabulsi plans to make A.S. less exclusive thus empowering the students, along with shedding more light on the cultural student organizations that exist at SDSU which aim at strengthening the student body. With these set objectives Nabulsi strives to voice the concerns of students and improve A.S. and student relations.

A particularly progressive passion that Jazmin Avalos, candidate for College of Sciences, endorses is the need for more encouragement for women within the College of Sciences. One such experience that Avalos recalls in high school is attending a MECHA conference and becoming exposed to students who came from similar backgrounds as her.

Because of this, Avalos became inspired to become involved once she began attending college. Some of the critical enhancements that Avalos plans on undertaking is increasing job fairs, improving the representation of student cultural organizations and student minorities.

“Improving the communication between A.S. and the students, exclusive information needs to become everyday visible to students,” said Avalos.

As representative for the College of Business, Kayla S. Ortiz, stresses the importance of working with other colleges in order to build options for students because the business field is broad and many students aren’t aware of what exactly they can do with a business degree, Ortiz said.

The fact that major prep classes for business can be helpful in finding out what one can do with such a degree but in terms of pursuing a specific career,  the College of Business can improve on student relations in order to answer that question, she said.

“The current structure within A.S. isn’t well known which proves to be problematic when it comes to serving the best needs of the student body,” said Carlos Perez, candidate for College of Arts & Letters.

As president of MECha (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan de SDSU), Perez believes that the solution to such matters are resolved by A.S. outreaching more to students involved on campus through cultural organizations.

“The work students in cultural organizations make needs to be acknowledged, and A.S. has to be more responsive to the issues that affect the communities these organizations represent,” said Perez.

Along with such measures, events relating to cultural organizations need to become more exposed and sponsored, he said.

A.S. can improve in communication with organizations; such as the current Student Diversity Representative Itzelt Santos and Natalie Martinez who is currently running to be the next Student Diversity Rep.

“Through my time at SDSU I have learned from speaking to many students that most do not know their college reps and are unaware that they are the ones who represent them on University Council,” said Medina. “I want the student body to be able to identify who their reps are so they can bring their concerns to light.”

San Diego State needs representatives that will transparently address the concerns of students to A.S., the University Council and together as associated students, work together to enhance the quality of education.