MIDWEEK PREVIEW: Basketball teams host four and Football looks to lock up bowl berth

Eight events on the Mesa also include home finales for Volleyball and Men’s Soccer plus final fall tournament for Women’s Tennis, while Cross Country travels to NCAA Regionals
Eric Evelhoch
The Daily Aztec’s Midweek Preview graphic for Nov. 9, 2022.

Every week The Daily Aztec will help San Diego State University fans get ready for the upcoming sports schedule with the Midweek Preview. Here is the calendar of Aztec athletics events for this week, all event times are in Pacific Standard Time:

Wednesday, Nov. 9

Women’s Basketball (0-1) vs San Diego Christian, Aztec Classic at Viejas Arena, 6 p.m.

SDSU opens the home portion of their regular season schedule after falling 86-48 at No. 2 Stanford. All but one Aztec who played more than 10 minutes made a bucket, with guards senior Alex Crain and junior Megan Fiso notching a team-best nine points apiece. This will be the third time that SDSU has faced NAIA San Diego Christian; they are 6-3 in home openers under head coach Stacie Terry-Hutson.

Thursday, Nov. 10

Volleyball (7-18, 5-9) vs UNLV (22-3, 13-1), Aztec Court at Peterson Gym, 7 p.m.

The Aztecs close out their home schedule, having won four of their last six matches, by facing the Mountain West Conference leader. Senior opposite Kayla Rivera has been the top SDSU scorer in three of the six, while freshman outside hitter Madison Corf topped the 15-kill mark for the seventh time this season in the 3-0 win over Fresno State on Monday. UNLV won 3-1 on Oct. 1, led by junior right side/outside hitter Gabrielle Arretche-Ramos who put away 20 kills.

Friday, Nov. 11

Women’s Tennis at SDSU Fall Classic II and Watanabe Classic, All day through Sunday

SDSU closes out the fall portion of their 2022-23 schedule with a pair of events for the weekend. Junior Andjela Skrobonja had the best run at the ITA Southwest Regional Championships, advancing to the semifinals and going 4-1 in singles action from Oct. 20-23. Senior Tamara Arnold reached the round of 16 at the event, going 2-1 in singles action while senior Dariya Detkovskaya bowed out in the second round then picked up a pair of consolation play wins.

Cross Country at NCAA Regionals, 10 a.m.

The Aztecs head to Chambers Creek Regional Park in University Place, Wash. for the NCAA West Regional Championships, hosted by the University of Washington. Most recently San Diego State placed 10th at the Mountain West Championships in Laramie, Wyo. on Oct. 28 with freshman Zala Sekavcnik posting the squad’s fastest time at 24:51.3.

Men’s Soccer (5-8-4, 1-5-3) vs UCLA (9-6-1, 3-4-1), Sports Deck, 7 p.m.

SDSU closes out the regular season after falling 3-0 at No. 1 Washington on Sunday, Nov. 6. UCLA took a 2-0 decision earlier this season in Westwood, scoring both goals in the second half despite the Aztecs outshooting them 16-12. C.J. Fodrey leads San Diego State in scoring with 16 points on six goals and four assists, he has the chance to become the first freshman to lead the Aztecs in scoring since forward David Olsen led the 2014 team with 15 points.

No. 19/20 Men’s Basketball (1-0) vs BYU (1-0), Viejas Arena, 7:30 p.m.

The Aztecs opened the season by topping Cal State Fullerton 80-57 thanks to shooting 65.4% from the field in the second half, and having four players score in double digits led by senior guard Darrion Trammell’s 18 points. BYU narrowly avoided an upset at home against Idaho State in their opener. The Cougars were picked to finish tied for third in the West Coast Conference and feature sophomore forward Fousseyni Traore as a Preseason All-WCC selection.

Saturday, Nov. 12

Women’s Basketball vs Antelope Valley, Aztec Classic at Viejas Arena, 1 p.m.

San Diego State will be hosting a tournament for the first time since the Thanksgiving Classic in the 2018-19 season. This will be the first time the Aztecs have faced the Lady Pioneers; University of Antelope Valley competes in the NAIA and had its first season in 2016-17. SDSU is 7-3 all time and is unbeaten against NAIA teams since the 1979-80 season. 

Football (5-4, 3-2) vs San Jose State (6-2, 4-1), Snapdragon Stadium, 7:30 p.m.

SDSU picked up the win 14-10 over UNLV on homecoming last weekend thanks to the defense forcing four turnovers, snatching two interceptions in the endzone for the second straight week. Senior cornerback Dallas Branch earned Mountain West Defensive Player of the Week honors with an interception, a fumble recovery and two of his four tackles for loss. The Aztecs will secure bowl eligibility with a win for the 13th straight season, but face a Spartan offense that averages the most yards passing per game in Mountain West play. SJSU junior quarterback Chevan Cordiero averages the most yards of total offense per game in the conference.

Tuesday, Nov. 15

Women’s Basketball vs Southeastern Louisiana (1-0), Viejas Arena, 6 p.m.

The Lady Lions are the 12th team representing the Southland Conference to face SDSU. Southeastern Louisiana was picked to finish third in their conference and feature Second Team All-Southland Preseason selection junior guard Haley Giaratano, who led the team averaging 3.2 assists and was second with 7.9 points per game last year. The Aztecs are 5-6 all-time against schools from Louisiana, most recently losing to Tulane in the 2017-17 season.

No. 19/20 Men’s Basketball at Stanford (1-0), 6 p.m.

Stanford opened the season with an 88-78 home win over Pacific and will face Wisconsin in the Brew City Battle at American Family Field, home of the MLB’s Milwaukee Brewers, on Friday. The Cardinal were picked fifth in the Pac-12 Preseason Poll and forwards senior Spencer Jones and sophomore Harrison Ingram were Preseason First Team All-Conference selections. This will be the fifth meeting between SDSU and Stanford, the Aztecs are looking for their first win.

Eric Evelhoch
Eric Evelhoch, '23-24 Sports Editor
Eric Evelhoch (he/him/his) is a senior media studies major who was born outside of Detroit, Michigan, and lived in Ventura County, California, for a decade-plus. He is a returning college student and transfer from Santa Barbara City College, where he served as Sports Editor for The Channels. Evelhoch is also a Sports Director for KCR College Radio, where he restarted play-by-play coverage post-pandemic. Currently, he serves as the play-by-play broadcaster for the SDSU ACHA DI hockey team and has filled in on the call for Aztecs sports on the Mountain West Network. His prior freelance experience includes print, digital, online video and audio-only, and broadcast radio formats covering football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer and volleyball.