Baseball struggles at the plate as they fall to UNLV 9-2

The Aztecs drop the first game of a three-game series against the Rebels
Right+handed+pitcher+Jacob+Riordan+tips+off+the+Aztec-Rebel+series+on+Friday+April+12.+Riordan+pitched+a+scoreless+first+inning%2C+as+the+Aztecs+fell+9-2+to+UNLV.+
Jamie Sanchez
Right handed pitcher Jacob Riordan tips off the Aztec-Rebel series on Friday April 12. Riordan pitched a scoreless first inning, as the Aztecs fell 9-2 to UNLV.

San Diego State baseball lost their 23rd game of the season against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Friday, April 12th.

Jacob Riordan was the starting pitcher for the Aztecs and pitched a scoreless first inning. SDSU scored first after a leadoff solo home run by Finley Bates. Bates commented on what he saw during his first at-bat.

“I got down two strikes,” Bates said. “I was just looking to foul some pitches off and I got a good pitch over the middle and I was able to drive it.”

UNLV answered quickly in the top of the second inning by scoring six runs, which would start after a leadoff home run by Rebels first baseman Austin Kryszczuk. 

UNLV tied the game after a bases-loaded hit by pitch and would take the lead after a one-run single by UNLV center fielder Rylan Charles. 

The Rebels continued to add to their lead after a two-run single by JP Hefft and a sacrifice fly by Kade Higgins. UNLV led 6-2 at the end of the second inning.

Both bats remained silent in the third inning until the Rebels scored again in the top of the fourth after a one-run double by Kryszczuk to give UNLV a 7-2 lead. The Aztecs failed to answer UNLV’s offense as they wouldn’t have another baserunner until the fifth inning. 

Head coach Shaun Cole spoke after the game about the team’s hitting performance.

“Our offense tried to hit eight-run home runs instead of just chipping away,” Cole said. “At that point, it’s 6-2, it’s only four runs you can chip away and chase those runs down.”

SDSU catcher David Whittle would end the hitting drought in the fifth after a two-out single, but the Aztecs would fail to capitalize. 

The Rebels extended their lead once more in the sixth inning after Kryszcuk hit a single to drive in another RBI. Left fielder Parker Schmidt brought in another run after a bases-loaded walk to make the score 9-2 at the end of the sixth.

The bats on both sides remained silent in the late innings. SDSU tried to mount a run in the bottom of the eighth after two singles by Whittle and Bates, respectively. However, Tino Bethancourt struck out to end the inning.

UNLV hung on for the remainder of the game and defeated the Aztecs, 9-2. Despite dropping the series’ first game, the Aztecs are eager to face their opponents again for Saturday’s game. 

“We had some self-inflicted wounds that killed us,” Bates said. “We know they’re beatable and we’re ready to come firing tomorrow.”

The second game of a three-game series against the Rebels continues on Saturday, April 13th at 1 p.m. at Tony Gwynn Stadium.