Sdsu hits the Jackpot in Sin City, Gets Elusive First Win

Aztecs strike gold in Las Vegas, notching their first win of the season with physical 2-0 victory over MPSF-rival UNLV By Hector Trujillo, Staff Writer They say that all good things come to those who wait. For the San Diego State men’s soccer team this saying holds true. The Aztecs (1-4-1, 1-0 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) beat the UNLV Rebels 2-0 Wednesday, getting their first win of the season. Both teams had poor offensive showings in 2004, scoring one goal each before the start of the contest. What made this victory crucial was not just that it came on the road, but that it came against an MPSF rival. SDSU scored its first goal in the 17th minute, thanks to a great move by junior forward Trey Meek. Meek came down the right side of the field and managed to get by the opponent’s defense. Without hesitation, he shot an unreachable ball at the right post, through the outstretched hands of UNLV goalkeeper Peter Clitheroe. “That kind of play is what we have expected from Trey all season and know there is more to come,” head coach Lev Kirshner said. UNLV (1-4-0, 0-1 in the MPSF) put the pressure on the Aztecs in the second half, looking for the tying goal. Despite having a 21-13 advantage on shots, UNLV was unable to prevent the Aztecs from putting the game away in the 72nd minute. Senior defender Eric Wohl took advantage of a rebound that came off the post after an SDSU corner kick. “We need to take put away chances like we did today and keep our team from committing unnecessary fouls,” Kirshner added. “We have more tests ahead with big games against conference opponents. Our team must remain focused and get better prepared.” With the slow start this season, the Aztecs’ biggest chance to make the NCAA tournament is to do well in conference play. While there are still many games to be played, the matches that may make or break SDSU’s aspirations for the postseason will come against conference foes. In its second game of its three game road trip, the Aztecs lost UC Davis 1-0. This evenly played match saw both teams matching each other shot-by-shot. The lone score of the game came in the 86th minute of play on a spectacular kick by senior midfielder Johnny Yau from 25 yards out. The Aztecs had scoring chances in the last few minutes but were unable to equalize the match. The Aggies improved to 2-4, while the Aztec loss drops its record to 1-5-1 on the season. SDSU finishes its road trip Sunday against Saint Mary’s.