Hawaii club makes debut

A laid-back, “hang-loose” Hawaii Club has been established on campus.

The Hawaii Club was founded this semester by Ikaika Kekua, an electrical engineering junior. Kekua is from Oahu, Hawaii and has experienced extreme culture shock since moving from a small island to San Diego.

“In Hawaii, you don’t see people drive faster than 55 mph,” Kekua said .

According to Kekua, native Hawaiians who move away from home have a difficult time transitioning because there is no place comparable to Hawaii. He founded the club hoping it would become a home away from home for fellow Hawaiian students.

Mechanical engineering sophomore Kent Kurashima is the co-founder of the club and Kekua’s fraternity brother. They both attended the same high school in Oahu. Their goals for the club are to participate in community service and fundraisers, and aims to raise enough money to award a scholarship to a native Hawaiian. The scholarship would help pay out-of-state tuition costs.

Another way Kekua plans to establish the club’s reputation is to team up with University of San Diego’s Hawaiian Club, which has already built a strong foundation. Kekua hopes to collaborate with the other club and have a large luau next semester.

Although the Hawaii Club only has 20 members, Kekua aims to have a strong group of Hawaii lovers, stressing that members do not need to be Hawaiian natives. Kekua welcomes anyone who is looking for an exciting club and comfortable place to hang out. Bringing the Aloha spirit to SDSU is Kekua’s a goal.

“Everyone from Hawaii has the Aloha spirit and are able to go up to anyone and talk to everyone,” Kekua said.

Students interested in joining the club can attend weekly meetings on Fridays in Aztec Mesa room 105 or join the “Hawaii Club – – SDSU” Facebook group for more information.

Hawaii club makes debut