SDSU defeats Toreros 18-6 in preseason scrimmage

The San Diego State swim team drove west on Interstate 8 on Friday to take part in a preseason pentathlon scrimmage meet against the University of San Diego. The Aztecs defeated the Toreros 18-6 at the USD Sports Center Pool.

The teams swam 100 yards of each stroke before competing in a 200-yard individual medley.

SDSU freshman Frida Berggren won the individual title in the final pentathlon standings, finishing the day with a total time of 6:10.88, almost 2 seconds better than SDSU junior Chelsea Bailey who placed second.

Aztec senior Livvi Sefton said she was pleased with how the younger swimmers performed.

“It’s always nice to see the younger girls swim well since they are the future of the team,” Sefton said. “She (Berggren) goes out and gets the job done and I’m excited to see what she is going to do this season.”

SDSU senior Mikaela Macklin, who had won the pentathlon against USD for the past two seasons, placed fourth in the final standings. Although she did not win the event this year, Macklin said she was excited to not only see Berggren win the event, but also to see her continue to improve her performance in the pool.

“Frida (Berggren) is definitely faster than the times that she swam,” Macklin said. “This meet makes her times look fast just because she won the pentathlon, but she’ll drop all those times by 3 to 10 seconds at the conference meet.”

Berggren placed first in the 100-yard fly and the 200-yard individual medley, second in the 100- yard breast and fifth in the 100-yard back and 100-yard free. The Aztecs placed first in all five events, preventing the Toreros from placing anywhere higher than third in any single event.

SDSU will officially kick off its 2013-14 season on Friday Oct. 18 at the annual Pacific Invitational in Stockton.

Kristian Ibarra, Sports Editor
Kristian Ibarra is the sports editor at The Daily Aztec. He's a journalism senior minoring in rhetoric and writing studies. His work has been featured in various publications, such as The Daily Aztec, U-T San Diego and Bleacher Report.