Going car-less in San Diego

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor
Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

SDSU Transit Center

The San Diego State Transit Center, which has been located between the Adams Humanities building and the pedestrian bridge since July 2005, has provided the community with an alternate means of getting to and from campus.

The Green Line trolley route and bus routes 11, 14, 15, 115, 856, 936 and 955 have stops near the SDSU Transit Center.

The Green Line stops at SDSU and travels either east to Santee or west to 12th and Imperial Avenue downtown. It has 27 total stops, some of which have connecting bus routes and opportunities to transfer to the Blue and Orange trolley lines.

Many of the Metropolitan Transit System trolley stops also have public parking available for those who take advantage of parking for free elsewhere and riding the trolley to campus.

“I decided to start taking the trolley so that parking is no longer an issue,” kinesiology freshman Maddison Roach said. “It is cheaper than paying for gas and parking combined. I have been taking the trolley since I started attending SDSU.

MTS Tickets and Passes

For students who don’t have a car or simply don’t want to have to deal with the pain of paying for parking at SDSU or elsewhere, MTS offers a range of options to get from point A to point B.

College students get special discounts for all-access monthly and semester passes. For the duration of the time the student holds a valid pass, it can be used on all MTS trolley and bus routes and the North County Transit District Breeze and Sprinter. By showing a valid monthly or semester pass, students qualify for a discounted rate riding the MTS Premium or Rural buses and the NCTD Coaster.

For SDSU students, the cost of the monthly pass is $57.60 and the semester pass is $152 with a $20 subsidy included. Monthly and semester passes are also offered to students attending some of the other colleges in San Diego for a different price.

To qualify, SDSU students must present a valid RedID at the Viejas Arena Box Office and meet a unit requirement determined by the school. Semester passes are on sale a few weeks before the semester begins until approximately a month into the semester. Pass sale dates are listed on the San Diego MTS website under “Fares.”

For those purchasing a one-way trolley ticket, the fare is $2.50 at the electronic ticket stations near the transit center. It is valid for a time period printed on the ticket upon purchase and works for trolleys and in one direction. A one-way bus ticket is $2.25.

A day pass is essential for those who don’t use public transportation regularly but are taking the day to explore San Diego County. For $5.00, the pass lasts from the time of purchase until trolley service ends for the day. The day pass is an unlimited use of all of the services mentioned above for monthly and semester pass holders. Take the Green Line to Old Town, hop on bus down Route 8 to Mission Beach, explore downtown and Horton Plaza, and take route 15 back to SDSU, all for $5.00.

Note that first-time buyers of the day pass are required to pay an additional two dollars for first use to get a reloadable compass card for future trolley and bus rides.

My Public Transportation Experience

With the transit system just across from the East Campus Drive residence halls, the trolley and bus routes are great ways for me to get around. This past fall, in my first semester at SDSU, I decided to get the semester pass. I knew I’d need to get to Qualcomm Stadium for the football games and Target every once in a while, but that was about it. I soon discovered the trolley could take me to Ikea, Costco, Mission Valley, Fashion Valley and even pretty close to the beach when I took a bus route. In the Spring semester, I decided to get the semester pass again. For $152, I knew it was well worth it for the number of times I would ride the trolley and bus, especially now that I have an off-campus job. While I can’t wait to have the convenience of a car with me next year, I have become quite the public transportation expert in just a few months.

How often does the trolley/bus come?

The average arrival and departure time of all buses and trolleys is every 15 minutes, but the wait time can be between seven and 30 minutes. Green Line Trolleys arrive and depart approximately every 7-8 minutes in the early morning, every 15 minutes during the daytime, and every 30 minutes in the evening.

A complete timetable of the MTS trolley and bus routes can be found online at www.sdmts.com.

Facts (courtesy of www.sdmts.com)

• San Diego public transportation began in 1886 as the San Diego Street Car Company
  • MTS has 92 bus routes in southern San Diego
  • MTS serves more than 10 cities in San Diego
  • MTS operates 725 buses 447 are powered by compressed natural gas and 12 are gasoline/electric hybrids. The rest are gasoline or diesel-powered.For the disabled, many trolleys and buses offer a ramp or “kneeling” feature, braille at regional transit centers, teletype planning for the hearing-impaired, and reserved seating for the disabled and elderly.

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor 

Going car-less in San Diego