Swim and Dive laps Toreros in final regular season meet

Photo by Weicheng Han
An SDSU swimmer competes in the butterfly event during the Aztecs’ meet with Pepperdine and UCSD on Dec. 1.

The San Diego State swimming and diving team took down the University of San Diego in the Aztecs’ final regular season meet, 153-131.

The dual meet took place at the Aztec Aquaplex on Friday afternoon. Senior swimmers Frida Berggren, Corinn Casper, Alexa Clayfield, Summer Harrison, Marina Preiss, and divers Alexandra Caplan and Nicole Dutton were recognized during the Senior Day ceremony, which took place prior to the meet. These seniors led the Aztecs to an 11-1 dual meet record in 2017-18. Berggren, Casper, Harrison, Preiss, Caplan, and Dutton have been a part of the Aztecs swimming and diving program since their freshman seasons.

Head Coach Mike Shrader said he was pleased with the Aztecs’ showing on Friday.

“I thought it was a really good performance today and our seniors did a great job with their leadership. It was a fun meet and we had a great time,” Shrader said.

Friday’s dual meet began with the 200-yard medley relay.

SDSU’s B team, consisting of sophomore Courtney Vincent, sophomore Caitlin Delany, sophomore Alma Thormalm and freshman Klara Thormalm finished with a winning time of 1:43.72. SDSU’s A team, which includes senior Alexa Clayfield, sophomore Morganne McKennan, senior Summer Harrison and sophomore Peyton Wilson took second place with a time of 1:45.55.

Senior Frida Berggren won the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:52.81. Freshman Elliyana Ferrin followed Berggren’s victory with a first-place performance in the 100-yard backstroke, finishing at 57.68.

Sophomores Caitlin Delany and Morganne McKennan and freshmen Larisa Tam and Rachel Cunningham rounded out the top four positions in the 100-yard breaststroke. Delany tallied the fastest time to win the event at 1:04.46. Sophomore Courtney Vincent took the 200-yard fly event with a time of 2:04.87, followed by freshman  Klara Thormalm’s win in the 50-yard freestyle, clocking in at 23.50.

Sophomore McKenna Meyer finished the 200-yard backstroke event with a time of 2:06.32.

The Aztecs continued their dual meet success in the 1-meter and 3-meter diving competitions.

Senior diver Alexandra Caplan won both 1-meter and 3-meter diving events. She posted scores of 311.55 and 352.65, respectively. Sophomore Marie Yacopino’s score of 295.05 earned her second in the 1-meter. Senior Nicole Dutton finished third in the 1-meter with a score of 273.53 and second in the 3-meter with 325.20.

Freshman Emily Reed’s 288.23 score capped off a third place position for the Aztecs.

Mike Shrader said the Aztecs are looking forward to the Mountain West Championships on Feb. 14-16 in San Antonio, Texas. The SDSU swimming and diving team is seeking their fourth Mountain West title under Shrader.

“We need to get better. We want to fine-tune everything, get better at all the little details, and be at our best for the upcoming Championships,” Shrader said.

Kyle Betz
Kyle Betz, Sports Editor
Kyle Betz is a fourth-year journalism student at SDSU and 2020-21 marks his fourth year reporting for The Daily Aztec. The Lake Forest, Calif. native has covered numerous sports as a writer, editor and media contributor. An avid fan of the Denver Broncos, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Lakers, Manchester United and Anaheim Ducks, Kyle enjoys watching and attending sporting events, listening to music, going to the beach and spending time with friends and family in his free time.