Women’s tennis poised and ready for breakout season

Photo by Weicheng Han
Freshman tennis player Abbie Mulbarger returns a shot during the Aztecs 5-2 home victory over UCSD on Jan.27

Last season was one to forget for San Diego State women’s tennis, as the team finished with a 5-18 overall record and went 0-5 in Mountain West conference play.

The Aztecs are looking to turn things around this season, and if the first three matches are of any indication, they are already doing just that.

The team  defeated the University of California, Riverside 6-1 to open the regular season on Jan. 21, posted a 5-2 victory over the University of California, San Diego on Jan. 27, and secured a 7-0 win over the University of California, Irvine on Jan. 28.

One big factor for the team this season will be the addition of Abbie Mulbarger, a freshman from Woodbridge, Calif.

The freshman has already began to make her mark on the team, beginning her tennis career in Scarlet and Black by defeating UCSD junior Madison Hale 6-0, 6-1 in singles competition in the Aztecs win over the Tritons.

Mulbarger followed up her debut singles victory against UCSD with a victory over UCI sophomore Gillian Parker 6-1, 7-5.

The Aztecs travel up north on Feb. 1 to face the University of California, Berkeley, a team that finished 19-6 overall and 8-2 in PAC-12 conference play last season, in their first road contest of the season.

The team then returns home to face University of California, Davis on Feb. 3, which finished with a record of 15-10  last season, followed by another home match on Feb. 5 against Point Loma Nazarene University, which is coming off of a 17-9 season.

The Aztecs start Mountain West Conference play on March 30 with a match on the road against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, a team that went 5-1 in MWC play last season, as well as a match against University of Nevada, Reno, which finished in the middle with a record of 2-2.

The team then travel north to take on Fresno State University, before finishing up conference play on the road against San Jose State.