Bahn Thai dishes up traditional meals

Bahn+Thai%E2%80%99s+popular+dish+includes+this+shrimp+panang+curry+and+pairs+well+with+a+Thai+tea.+
    Alby Sanchez
    Bahn Thai’s popular dish includes this shrimp panang curry and pairs well with a Thai tea.

Bahn Thai is a local San Diego restaurant that is serving up traditional Thai dishes at affordable prices, all while making a name for themselves in the local food community.

Set against the quiet backdrop of University Heights located at 4646 Park Blvd., Bahn Thai sets itself apart from the local coffee shops and small restaurants. The restaurant sticks to its traditional dishes in order to draw customers in.

“I really like coming to Bahn Thai because they really stick to the authentic flavors that I have grown to love in Thai food,” speech therapy junior Macayla Meyers said.

The restaurant’s menu has a wide variety of dishes ranging from noodles to curries and stir frys with prices ranging from $9.95 to $12.00 per dish.

Some of the most popular dishes include the Pad Thai and the Thai fried rice.

If customers are looking for something different, the restaurant serves dishes such as a panang curry which is a creamy curry with a sweet hint of coconut milk, bell peppers and your choice of protein all served with jasmine or brown rice.

Customers can also try the popular Thai golden fried spring rolls with silver noodles, black pepper cabbage, carrot and a side of homemade plum sauce as a starter.

“The menu is so diverse and there are always so many options to choose from,” kinesiology sophomore Jillian Smiley said. “I try and stick to my regular order, but I try new things a lot.”

The restaurant also serves traditional desserts and drinks for customers to purchase as well.

“With every order I have to get a Thai tea, that’s my go-to and I recently got into their black rice pudding with coconut milk as my desert,” Meyers said.

Bahn Thai is a family-owned and operated restaurant with chefs Sam and Kate putting in their 20-plus years of culinary experience to provide the community with traditional Thai dishes using the best ingredients with no MSG additives, according to the restaurant website.

Customers can dine in or take out when ordering their food or have it delivered using the Postmates app.

Bahn Thai is open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Sunday 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Bahn Thai dishes up traditional meals