Tennis player making her presence known out on the court

Photo by Weicheng Han
Junior Jenny Moinard competes during the Aztecs 5-2 loss to UCSD on Jan. 27 at the Aztec Tennis Center

San Diego State women’s tennis player Jenny Moinard has made quite a racket on the court this season.

The junior transfer from Clemson University has won the most singles matches this year for the Aztecs, currently boasting a record of 16-6.

Moinard has received recognition off the court for her success, as she was named the Mountain West Women’s Tennis player of the week on Feb. 21.

“It really means alot,” Moinard said about winning the award. “(Transferring from Clemson) obviously my goal was to really make a change and to have a big impact.”

Moinard said that the recognition from the award is important to her because it helps validate her performance on the court.

“I think it shows I have worked hard and I am very dedicated to the team,” she said.

Head coach Peter Mattera is proud of Moinard for receiving the award and what it means for the rest of the  team as well

“I tell my team that any time one of them wins something like that, it makes us all look good,” Mattera said. “It was a great award for (Jenny). It was very well deserved.”

Moinard said that while she appreciates the award, her main focus is on the success of the team going forward.

“Of course personal accomplishments are great, but I really hope as a team we continue to play well,” Moinard said. “We all have the potential to play great and go out there and win as a team”.

Moinard has been performing well in her doubles matches, where she is 12-6 with her  primary partner, sophomore Mia Smith.

“Moinard has been really good for us both in singles and doubles,” Mattera said. “She is very intense… makes us competitive and I think that makes us all better.”