Rotaract Club to host ‘More Than Music’ Fest to support those affected by wildfires

Courtesy of Band of Gringos

Rotaract Club has created a way to combine San Diego State’s passion for music and art while giving back to the community at its event “More Than Music” Fest, which will be held Feb. 8 in Montezuma Hall from 6 to 10 p.m.

This is SDSU Rotaract’s first on-campus event creating on opportunity for the service-based club to show students its mission. The event will feature seven musicians, eight artists, two poets and a dance crew, all of which are students or community members.

Not only will the event provide students a chance to showcase their talents, but all proceeds of the event will benefit SDSU students and community members who have been affected by the recent California wildfires.

Economics senior Cat Kricorian and political science and urban studies senior Kaila Cooper planned the fest in hopes that through including local artists and musicians, it will attract students to come support an important cause.

“I was brainstorming an event that Rotaract could have on campus that students would be willing to attend and support,” Kricorian said. I am passionate about music and art, and this seemed like the best of both worlds.”

The donations will be made to the California Community Foundation Wildfire Relief Fund and the SDSU Economic Crisis Response Team, which aims to support those who have lost their homes from the traumatic Camp and Woosley fires.

According to the “More Than Music” website, performers NateZ & Quiet Child are more than happy to help with the cause.

“Anytime we get the opportunity to help out in a positive way, we are present,” they said in a joint statement. “Since both of us are from (California), these wildfires hit close to home, and it’s nice to help through music.”

The other musicians that will be featured include D.Sel, Galactics, Lydon & HI-Fi, Charlie Rae and Band of Gringos. The artists include Ryah Massarweh, Uyen Tran, Aryn Paysse, Holly Baker, Jordin David and Cat Kricorian. The two poets are Poetic Solo and Ronald Williams, and the dance crew is Afrique Dance.

To learn more about the artists, the event’s website and Instagram page @morethanmusicsdsu includes features on each of them.

“More Than Music is an opportunity to help our community while also bringing together that same community for a night to celebrate the local arts,” Cooper said.

Tickets to the fest are $10 on the event’s website or through Venmo @morethanmusicsdsu, and will be available at the door for purchase for $15.  

“More Than Music allows a platform for local SDSU and community artists to showcase and perform their passions,” Kricorian said. “It does all of this in the name of a great cause, raising money for those who truly need it. Several SDSU students lost their homes in the tragic California wildfires, and this event could help alleviate the hardships that they are experiencing.”

Kelly Kerrigan, Senior Staff Writer