Fall brings new style, revives old favorites

woman in polka dot dressThe back-to-school season always brings about the inevitable problem of what to wear. A quick peek into the closet confirms it: Everything is too small, torn or last season. Rather than pouring through fall catalogs the size of textbooks, here is a quick summary of the top fall fashion trends that are actually wearable and not completely stale. Men and women of all shapes and sizes can easily assimilate these trends into their daily wardrobes.

Brightly colored pants
A perfect transition from the runway to reality, brightly colored pants have become extremely popular. Kanye West wears vivid red ones in his music video for “Otis,” and when”Gossip Girl” Blake Lively isn’t wearing Chanel couture she’s usually seen in bright bottoms. Versatile enough for day or nightwear, this trend proves accessible for any occasion. A simple tee or denim jacket dresses down the look while a leather jacket or colorful top brightens the entire outfit.

Polka Dots
This iconic pattern has been made popular once again by Marc Jacobs and Stella McCartney, whose winter collections featured fabulous polka-dotted dresses. The polka dot look feels modern and classy when worn by anyone from Beyonce to Kate Winslet. The look feels appropriate in any setting, whether you’re at school, work or on a date. Men shouldn’t shy away from the pattern, but rather infuse polka dots into a smaller accessory, such as a tie. While black and white is always classy, brighter colors freshen up the look. Rather than risk looking too retro with an entire dress, the polka dot pattern works best for day wear on a bow-tie blouse or button-up.

Color Blocking
For those afraid of color, beware. Rather than predictable all-black looks, fall fashion brings a resurgence of color blocking, reinforcing the simple idea of wearing two or more colors together. Stemming from the spring Gucci and Prada lines, Hollywood stars such as Emma Stone and Jessica Alba prove this flashy trend can work on anyone. Quickly adopted by megastores like H&M, Express and J. Crew, the color block trend is affordable and easily available to all.

Structured Bags
No longer are slouchy bohemian bags weighing down our tired shoulders. Switching to a lighter, more structured silhouette is becoming a popular option. The trend is represented by the designs of tomboyish Alexa Chung for Madewell and the classic Sofia Coppola for Louis Vuitton. Handheld or cross-body options feel more ladylike and polished, and they leave no room for shoving extraneous items.

Menswear Shoes
Rather than focusing on sky-high stilettos this season, Christian Louboutin’s are being traded for Oxfords and desert booties. Seen on just about everyone, from New York socialite Olivia Palermo to singer Florence Welch, these shoes are versatile for all styles and genders. Rather than opting for ballet flats or sandals, the Oxford is a classic and comfortable option to flat footwear. The desert boot is lighter and more casual than the combat boot, but dressier and more put together than Converse or Toms.