Constitution Day fun

ANTONIO ZARAGOZA, PHOTO EDITOR

Last Friday, students were offered a chance to earn credit toward community service hours by participating in an event held on campus celebrating Constitution Day. The event was held by Associated Students and the office of Student Life & Leadership to commemorate the signing of the Constitution.

Although the event at San Diego State this year happened on Sept. 16, it commemorates the signing of the original document on Sept. 17, 1787.

According to the U.S. Department of Education, each institution receiving federal funds during the fiscal year is required to hold an educational program about the U.S. Constitution for its students within a week of the anniversary of the original event.

This mandate was enacted in 2005 when the day was named “Constitution Day.” According to Director of Student Life & Leadership Randy Timm, campuses across the U.S. observe the holiday in many ways. Timm said there have been birthday cakes and bulletin boards in the past, but this year’s activities included costumed colonials.

“It was a community service scavenger hunt where we posted 26 constitutional facts around campus,” A.S. Executive Vice President of Finance Rob O’Keefe said.“Students were given the opportunity to take pictures of the facts and be given one hour toward community services for every three photos.”

O’Keefe, who dressed in revolutionary- era attire outside of Hepner Hall on Friday, said many people walking by were surprised with how he was dressed, which prompted many to ask what they were doing and get more involved. “It was a lot of fun, and made an educational program a lot more interesting,” Timm said.

Constitution Day fun