Student-run radio station is on the air

There’s nothing scary about students gaining valuable media experience while working at KCR College Radio. | antonio zaragoza, photo editor

The KCR College Radio re-launch is now two months in, and despite some challenges it is making a name for itself on the San Diego State campus.

The original KCR began more than four decades ago . Now, it has been revamped with three computers, a soundboard, new microphones and speakers.

With a $6,000 budget, the station was able to switch from analog to digital format, in addition to utilizing more data.

Besides the studio makeover, the station itself has changed.

Forty years ago, KCR focused primarily on promoting underground music. Nowadays, although there are still artists featured on the stream, the radio station also offers news, entertainment and sports shows hosted and produced by SDSU students.

Journalism senior and radio station general manager Josh Hoffman said the station is unique because it is completely student-run, providing college students with valuable experience.

Because the station is only broadcasted online, there are fewer content restrictions than there otherwise would be if KCR had its own AM or FM radio channel.

“You say what you want to say, you play what you want to play,” Hoffman said.

Talk show topics range from “Between the Sheets,” a weekly sex talk show, to “Sports Zone,” a program about university athletics.

“I don’t want one person to like every show. I want every person to like one show,” Hoffman said.

In addition to catering to current university students, the station is also of interest to alumni. “Today at State,” broadcasting on Wednesdays from 6 to 6:30 p.m., focuses on campus happenings. Alumni can get involved and feel they are still part of the campus community.

Hoffman said his goal for KCR is to bring the campus community together.

VIDEO: Meet KCR’s General Manager, Josh Hoffman.

The station allows organizations such as Associated Students to make on-air announcements at no cost. New musicians are also featured on the radio station.

According to media studies student and music director Jaron Degen, the station receives more than 100 requests each week from artists who hope to have their music played on-air.

“Sixty to 70 percent are really bad, but there are some really talented people,” Degen said.

The best way for a student to get his or her music featured is to drop off a playlist at the studio, he said.

KCR has succeeded in getting exposure within the college community, but obtaining loyal listeners is another story. According to Hoffman, every day approximately 100 listeners tune in.

The team hopes to keep listeners hooked by having a wide variety of talk shows and music.

Another challenge is not having live producers in the studio 24 hours a day. During the late night hours, dead space is filled by an ongoing playlist. Hoffman said he would prefer to have live talk shows instead.

Hoffman and Degen say they are happy with the success of the KCR re-launch. Every week, the station has concert ticket giveaways or free admission to events throughout San Diego.

Listeners can access the station in three ways: visit kcrlive.com, download the smartphone application called TuneIn Radio, or check out iTunes radio and find the KCR college university tab.

Student-run radio station is on the air