New head coach filling out staff

Newly anointed football head coach Rocky Long has started to restock the coaching cupboard after former head coach Brady Hoke poached several assistants and took them along with him to Michigan.

Early yesterday morning, a source close to the situation said Cal offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig would be named to the same position at San Diego State. Ludwig spent the past two seasons as Cal’s offensive coordinator, following stints at Utah, Oregon and Fresno State. He runs a pro-style offense, which is the scheme former offensive coordinator Al Borges ran the past two years at SDSU.

Ludwig has been coaching in the college ranks since 1987, when he was wide receivers coach at Portland State. He led the Golden Bears to a Poinsettia Bowl berth in 2009 and in 2008 he helped Utah to an undefeated 13-0 record, a No. 2 national ranking in the Associated Press poll and a victory against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

Long has also hired four more assistants. The new coaches for next season will be Jeff Horton (assistant head coach and running backs coach), Danny Gonzalez (safeties), Kevin McGarry (linebackers) and Osia Lewis (defensive line).
Last Thursday, Long named the University of Toledo’s Rick Court as the new strength and conditioning coach, replacing the departed Aaron Wellman. Wellman was considered by many to be a vital component in the football program’s two-year turnaround.

Long also announced last week the retention of three assistant coaches from Hoke’s staff. Quarterbacks coach Brian Sipe, wide receivers coach LeCharls McDaniel and cornerbacks coach Tony White will all stay on the Mesa.

“I am excited to keep LeCharls, Brian and Tony,” Long said in a statement released by SDSU. “All three of these coaches were instrumental in the progress we have made the last two years and will help us keep continuity as we move forward. They will do a great job developing our student-athletes, on and off the field.”

New head coach filling out staff