Love Library wants love tales

FreeDigitalPhotos.net.

Love is in the air in Love Library. In honor of its 40th anniversary, Love Library, named after San Diego State’s fourth President Malcolm Love, is holding a contest for whomever can share the best true story of how they found love in the library.

“More than scholarship goes on at Love Library. Students also use it to connect with people, whether it’s studying, building friendships or romantic relationships,” Lynn Hawkes, special projects officer, said.

The stories shared by the contestants do not have to be strictly about “romantic love,” but can also be about friendship or love for academics. In other words, anyone can write a true romantic story, regardless if they’re a student, a non-student community member or just a bookworm.

“The stories should not only be centered in the Love Library but also compelling, humorous and romantic,” Hawkes said.

“The library is the most important learning environment outside of the classroom, but the library is also an essential setting for the social connections students make: Connections that last a lifetime,” Dean of the SDSU Library and Information Access Gale Etschmaier said.

The contestants, selected by a panel of judges, will be rewarded with bouquets and romantic dinners for two at 1500 Ocean at the Hotel Del Coronado. The stories will be posted on the library’s website, and the winning entry will be announced at a reception held at 6 p.m. on Valentine’s Day in room LL 108.

The reception will also be followed by a magic lantern show titled “A Victorian Valentine Show,” performed by the American Magic-Lantern Theater.

The stories should be 500 words or less, and the deadline to submit is Feb. 9. Email submissions to love.library.contest@gmail.com

Love Library wants love tales