Despite loss, Aztecs only slide to No. 6 / 7 in polls

Star forward Kawhi Leonard leads SDSU in points per game and rebounds per game, Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

San Diego State men’s basketball head coach Steve Fisher used to look at the rankings and his eyes would scroll all the way down to the bottom.

He’d look past the Top 5, the Top 10, the Top 25 and go directly to the “others receiving votes” category on the weekly NCAA men’s basketball polls.

But now, things are different. He doesn’t have to look far to see his SDSU squad on the list, even after it dropped its first game of the season to BYU last week. The Aztecs came in at No. 7 in the AP Poll and No. 6 in the Coaches Poll this week.

“It’s nice that we can look at it because we know we’re going to be there,” Fisher said.
“Always before we used to look at the ‘others’ to see if we could appear … And now we’re looking at ourselves as one of the groups in the rankings and that feels good.”
Senior guard D.J. Gay said he doesn’t really care about the rankings anymore, saying
“It’s kind of like a fun fact.”
He did, however, seem irked at the fact that Duke (19-2), which was beat up by an unranked St. John’s team last weekend, only slid from No. 3 to No. 5 in both major polls.
“We just kind of laugh about it,” Gay said.

News and Notes

Sophomore forward Kawhi Leonard said the Twitter account @Kawhi_Leonard is not his.
Leonard also said he is feeling better after being sick last week and said the high altitude in Fort Collins, Colo., did not bother his body last season.
The line for tickets to the TCU and Utah games stopped at around 10:15 a.m. yesterday when the school ran out of tickets.

San Diego State men’s basketball head coach Steve Fisher used to look at the rankings and his eyes would scroll all the way down to the bottom. He’d look past the Top 5, the Top 10, the Top 25 and go directly to the “others receiving votes” category on the weekly NCAA men’s basketball polls.But now, things are different. He doesn’t have to look far to see his SDSU squad on the list, even after it dropped its first game of the season to BYU last week.

The Aztecs came in at No. 7 in the AP Poll and No. 6 in the Coaches Poll this week.“It’s nice that we can look at it because we know we’re going to be there,” Fisher said. “Always before we used to look at the ‘others’ to see if we could appear … And now we’re looking at ourselves as one of the groups in the rankings and that feels good.”Senior guard D.J. Gay said he doesn’t really care about the rankings anymore, saying “It’s kind of like a fun fact.”He did, however, seem irked at the fact that Duke (19-2), which was beat up by an unranked St. John’s team last weekend, only slid from No. 3 to No. 5 in both major polls.“We just kind of laugh about it,” Gay said.

News and Notes