Buildings undergo repair

Nasatir Hall and Storm Hall are to be reconstructed and renovated by January 2015 | Peter Kluch, senior staff photographer
Nasatir Hall and Storm Hall are to be reconstructed and renovated by January 2015  | Peter Kluch, senior staff photographer

The school year is reaching its end for San Diego State students, however this season also marks a new beginning for Storm and Nasatir Hall, both of which will be reconstructed and renovated.

The department of Sociology, Political Science and Economics, which reside in Nasatir Hall, are scheduled to move to the fourth floor of Adams Humanities on May 21. The Departments of Anthropology and Geography, and the college of Arts & Letters that reside in Storm Hall, will also be moving for renovation.

No renovations have yet been made in Nasatir and Storm Halls, since the buildings were made in the late 1950s. The two buildings are being constructed to meet current Health and Safety Code standards, to correct deferred maintenance issues to improve energy conservation.

Nasatir Hall’s environmental safety was questioned in 2009 after a 26-year-old graduate student and a 69-year-old professor died from brain cancer in 2008. Another professor died in 1993, and coincidentally, they all worked near or inside room 131 in Nasatir Hall.

Dawn Christiansen, administrative coordinator for the Department of Political Science, is skeptical of hazardous threats in Nasatir Hall, despite the faculty members’ coincidental deaths.

“There are so many factors that play a part in someone’s life. They passed away with 20 years difference,” Christiansen said.

Michael McCall, an SDSU professor in the Department of Sociology, has enjoyed the time he has spent on the second floor of Nasatir Hall, despite its need for design changes.

“I have grown very fond of Nasatir Hall, and we will miss it during the time we will be gone,” McCall said.

The renovations are scheduled to be finished in January 2015, and the faculties will move back to their old spaces when the construction is completed.

Buildings undergo repair