Professor’s work recognized nationally

Professor’s work recognized nationally
Monica Linzmeier, Staff Photographer

This summer, the All-University Convocation took place at Viejas Arena, recognizing one faculty member from each college with a Monty Award for outstanding achievement.

Dr. Jessica Barlow of the School of Language and Hearing Sciences received a 2012 Faculty Monty Award.

“I am honored, grateful, appreciative, surprised. So, it was unexpected but it feels great to receive recognition and honor like that,” Barlow said.

After graduating with a Ph.D. in linguistics from Indiana University, she began teaching at San Diego State in 1997.

Barlow is a very active faculty member, serving as the SLHS graduate advisor and working with both SDSU and University of California, San Diego in a joint doctorate program with graduate students from both campuses.

In addition to being a passionate and inspiring professor, Barlow has an active career in research for SLHS. Having participated in more than 30 peer-reviewed publications in the past 15 years at SDSU, Barlow’s research has been nationally recognized. Because of it, she’s traveled to various con tries throughout Europe including Belgium, Spain, the Netherlands and England. “It’s to share ideas with other people,” Barlow said.

Just this summer, Barlow traveled to the National University of Columbia to work in collaboration with her colleagues on a new linguistics study.

“It’s one of the best aspects of being a professor, in my opinion, that you get to travel to these amazing conferences and go to amazing places,” Barlow said.

SLHS senior Melanie Davis has known Barlow since Fall 2011 and whole-heartedly believes Barlow is a deserving recipient of the award, saying she’s grateful Barlow’s passion influenced her to minor in linguistics.

“She just wants us to succeed,” Davis said.

Considering Barlow’s high ratings and glowing recommendations on Ratemyprofessors.com, it seems many former students agree with Davis. She has even won the coveted “chili pepper” recognizing hot teachers.

Barlow adds her Monty to an impressive list of accomplishments in service and teaching, including three Undergraduate SDSU Professor of the Year awards, various undergraduate and graduate adviser awards, an SDSU Foundation Technology Innovation award and many others.

In regards to excelling at SDSU, Barlow says, “Being in school is a privilege and an opportunity so make the most out of it. You’re here to learn, to grow, to become better citizens. (Students) need to take advantage of all that they are learning. Be excited about the opportunity to grow as an individual.”

Monica Linzmeier
Monica Linzmeier, Editor in Chief
Monica Linzmeier has worked for The Daily Aztec since 2011 serving as a photographer, writer, photo editor and finally Editor in Chief. She is majoring in Journalism and French.  Monica focuses on multi-media journalism and is looking to go into international reporting after graduation.
Professor’s work recognized nationally