Talent show awards spirit

Monica Linzmeier, Staff Photographer

Monday night kicked off the 2012 Homecoming Competition Week with the Aztec Nation Talent Show and the “Aztec Pride” commercial presentation at 7 p.m. in front of Viejas Arena.

Associated Students, the Cultural Arts & Special Events Board and the Homecoming Steering Committee invited student organizations, residence halls, Greek organizations and all other students to form teams and participate in the week’s homecoming events for a chance to earn spirit points.

The team with the highest amount of spirit points will be awarded the Spirit Trophy at Saturday’s football game against Colorado State. Freshman Nichole Schwartz expressed her excitement toward supporting her sorority during the week.

“Homecoming week helps get everyone involved,” Schwartz said. “Hopefully I get to see funny acts and a good turnout for school spirit.”

The talent show began with the presentation of the 2012 homecoming court by hosts CASE Marketing co-chair Dara Majdi and homecoming co-chair Becca Cohen. Participants showcased their commercial or talent for a panel of judges. The judging panel was composed of A.S. Awards Committee Advisor Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, A.S. Executive Director Dan Cornthwaite, Alu- mini Association Associate Director Tammy Blackburn and Aztec Shops Marketing Manager Ben Eisenstein. Eisenstein explained his criteria while judging the acts.

“I want something creative, I want to laugh and if it is Aztec-themed, even better!” The judging criteria was broken down into crowd appeal, presentation and poise, originality and creativity, and overall performance. At the end of the night, Pi Beta Phi walked away with first place for best homecoming commercial and the SDSU Ambassa- dors’ team won best talent.

Talent show awards spirit