McNutt: New queen on campus

Dustin Michelson, Senior Staff Photographer

When Channelle McNutt was named San Diego State’s 2012 homecoming queen, it seemed as if she won a million dollars.

“I was speechless and still am. I was in shock, happy, humble and proud. You can tell by the jumps I did that I was overly excited,” the Associated Students Executive Vice President and Chief Operations Officer said.

McNutt is known throughout campus because of various leadership roles she has held since she began studying at SDSU in 2009. She was the A.S. Diversity Commissioner for two years, the Afrikan Student Union President last year and a peer leadership consultant.

“I love everything I do and try to build relationships with all people and communities,” McNutt said.

McNutt’s dedication to the uni- versity throughout the past four years was not easily overlooked.

As McNutt was crowned home- coming queen, A.S. Vice President of External Affairs Tom Rivera was named king.

“They could not have crowned a better king,” McNutt said. “He’s my best friend and we have been a duo since our first year.”

McNutt was nominated for homecoming queen by ASU, the first campus organization she be- came involved in and a group that has supported her throughout her college career.

McNutt said she feels prepared to tackle the challenges that lie in front of her because of her experi- ences at SDSU.

“This community at SDSU has inspired me as a leader, strengthened me as a woman of color and empowered me as a young professional,”McNutt said.

McNutt: New queen on campus