Hollywood Happenings

85th annual Academy Awards

By: Tori Haynes, Staff Writer and Brooke Schlyer, Staff Writer

Celeb of the Week:

Seth MacFarlane was a risky, but memorable choice as host for the 2013 Academy Awards. The “Family Guy” creator sang, danced and dished out insults throughout the ceremony. His witty remarks kept the nominees and audience members on the edge of their seats as no one knew who’d be the target of his next joke. MacFarlane took the stage for a dance performance alongside Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron, followed by a rendition of “High Hopes” with Daniel Radcliffe and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Although many hold different opinions as to whether McFarlane was a distasteful host or a comedic genius, taking on the challenge of hosting the 85th annual Academy Awards deserves some recognition.

Romance:

Britney Spears’ new mystery boyfriend has finally been identified. Her current main squeeze, David Lucado, looks nothing like the men of her past. The avid golfer is originally from Appomattox, Va., but moved to Los Angeles shortly before meeting Spears.

Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher have taken their relationship to the next level. Within the last few weeks, the two decided to move in together, originally shacking up under the ruse of Mila’s home remodel. Kunis is set on making this arrangement permanent, according to US weekly.

Prince Harry is one step closer to finding his princess. He and Cressida Bonas have officially started dating and were recently seen together skiing in Switzerland.

Sightings:

The Academy Awards are a time to celebrate and the stars did just that at all the pre-Oscar parties.  A slew of celebrities including Anna Faris, Russell Brand, John Krasinski, Taylor Lautner, Felicity Jones, Liam Hemsworth and more attended Grey Goose’s pre-Oscar bash at the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood on Feb. 23.

While the public hears and sees what happens on stage at the Academy Awards, sometimes what happens off stage is just as exciting. Actress Charlize Theron helped a security guard who experienced a seizure before the show began. According to E! Online, the man fell and Theron tried to help him up while someone else called a doctor.

Trivia: Academy Award Edition

1. At the age of 9, this actress is the youngest Academy Award nominee in the Best Actress category for her role in the 2012 film “Beasts of the Southern Wild.”

A. Elle Fanning

B. Quvenzhané Wallis

C. Chloe Grace Moretz

D. Mackenzi Foy

2. Three films tie for the most Oscars won with 11 wins at the Academy Awards. The first film is 1959’s “Ben-Hur” and the third film is 2003’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.” Can you guess the other film?

A. “Titanic”

B. “Avatar”

C. “The Godfather”

D. “Gone with the Wind”

3. Which actress has won the most Oscars at the Academy Awards with four awards?

A. Katherine Hepburn

B. Meryl Streep

C. Marilyn Monroe

D. Hilary Swank

4. Which actor no longer holds the record (and is now tied) for most Academy Awards after Daniel Day-Lewis achieved his third Oscar on Sunday?

A. Leonardo DiCaprio

B. Humphrey Bogart

C. Bruce Willis

D. Jack Nicholson

5. This actor is no doubt an A-lister in Hollywood but has never won an Oscar. Who is it?

A. Colin Firth

B. Robert De Niro

C.  Johnny Depp

D. Clark Gable

Hollywood Happenings