World Beat

Sweden’s love story ends with Princess Lilian’s death at 97

Princess Lilian of Sweden’s royal household died Sunday at the age of 97. Considered one of the royalty’s best-kept secrets and a threat to the Bernadotte dynasty for decades, she and the late Prince Bertil were not allowed to marry until about 30 years after they met, according to the Guardian. A divorcee of common birth, Princess Lilian was forced to keep her relationship with Prince Bertil unofficial so her status would not threaten both the prince’s obligation to the throne and the survival of the Bernadotte dynasty. The two married in their 60s after Bertil’s father, King Gustaf VI Adolf, gave them his blessing, which is said to have been granted because the princess’ personality won the Swedes over.

Hugo Chavez’ previous adversary joins Venezuelan presidential race

Hugo Chavez’s previous adversary, Henrique Capriles, joined the race to succeed the late Venezuelan leader, Al Jazeera reported. Capriles lost to Chavez in the October elections and will face Chavez’s handpicked successor, Nicolas Maduro, in the elections on April 14. Maduro was sworn in as the acting Venezuelan president on Friday, hours after Chavez’s state funeral. During the October elections, Capriles lost with nearly 44 percent of the vote—the highest showing against Chavez in his three reelections. There will only be 10 days of official campaigning before the elections. According to Al Jazeera, Chavez loyalists filed past his open casket at the military academy chanting, “Chavez, I swear to you my vote is for Maduro.”

Playboy hits Israeli newsstands with first Hebrew-language issue 

Playboy launched a Hebrew edition last week in Israel, according to Haaretz Daily Newspaper. The issue features Israeli models, such as cover girl Nataly Dadon, and articles by Israeli writers. Dadon told Reuters her decision to pose in the magazine received mixed reactions from people in Israel. Regardless, Dadon said she was happy and excited to be in the first edition of Playboy Israel.

An interview with Israel’s Home Front Defense Minister Avi Dichter, also appears in this month’s edition. Longtime Playboy rival Penthouse Magazine debuted an Israeli edition in 1989, but it was a failure. According to Haaretz, Playboy Israel’s reception is unclear because of religious sensitivities from observant Jews and Muslims living in “strict modesty rules.”

World Beat