U.S. closely analyzes North Korean threats

Xinhua/Kcna
North Korea'S Kim Jong Un
KCNA/Xinhua/Zuma Press/MCT

“Volumes and volumes of artillery fire and surface to surface missiles” would be directed straight at South Koreans if North Korea decided to attack, retired Maj. Gen. James Marks illustrated to CNN as the most likely plan of attack.

The Washington Post recently posted a music video released by North Korea this past week. The music video displays a slide show of pictures and video clips pertaining to the strength of the militia, historic war memorials, Soviet-style propaganda and scenes which render a feeling of victory. The title of the video is “Let’s Defend General Kim Jong Un at the Cost of Our Lives” or, because there is no direct Korean-to-English translation, “We Will Safeguard General Kim Jong Un With Our Very lives.”

North Korea has the means to create nuclear weapons, but according to nuclear scientist Siegfried Hecker, North Korean scientists would need more bomb fuel and lack the resources.

“Despite its recent threats, North Korea does not yet have much of a nuclear arsenal because it lacks fissile materials and has limited nuclear testing experience,” Hecker said.

South Korean military sources say North Korea has moved two missiles to its east coast, but it remains unclear whether or not it’s actually armed.

NBC News chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel said April may be the month when North Korea decides to attack.

“Speculation about a launch centers on mid-April, last April 11 Kim Jong-un came to power, and April 15is the 101th birthday of the late Kim Il-sung, North Korea’s founder and Kim Jong-un’s grandfather. Last April, Pyongyang tried to launch a satellite, but it crashed into the sea… the timing would also coincide with a visit by the U.S. Secretary of State,” according to NBC News.

Secretary of State John Kerry is going to visit South Korea in hopes of diffusing the conflict. As of now, the visit is still scheduled, but foreign diplomats visiting North Korea’s capital, Pyongyang, should have evacuation plans ready.