World Beat

Hugo Chavez funeral processionMaduro wins Venezuelan election to become Chávez’s successor

Nicolás Maduro, the self-proclaimed “son” of the late Hugo Chávez, won last Sunday’s presidential elections with 50.7 percent of the vote against Henrique Capriles. Maduro said he had won a ”just, legal and constitutional” victory, according to BBC News.

The president elect said his sole wish is to further his mentor’s legacy, according to The Associated Press. Maduro’s campaign was marked by a comment he made, which resulted in mockery from the opposition. The 50-year-old said a small bird, which represented the spirit of socialist leader Chávez, whom he called the “Christ” and “redeemer” of Latin America, visited him. Chávez chose Maduro as his successor in December and pleaded for his election. Maduro had been serving as acting president since Chávez’s death in March and will be sworn in on April 19.

Zambian gay rights activist arrested after live TV appearance

Gay-rights activist Paul Kasonkomona was arrested in Zambia after appearing on live TV arguing the country should respect same-sex relationships. Zambia criminalizes homosexual acts with a minimum sentence of 15 years in prison with a maximum of life, according to The Guardian. “Indecent same-sex practices,” such as holding hands or kissing, carry a minimum of seven years in prison. Reportedly, officers tried to stop Kasonkomona’s interview, but the television station, Muvi TV, refused to take him off the air. According to Global Voices Online, Kasonkomona was charged with “inciting the public to take part in indecent activities.”

According to a 2010 Pew Research Center poll, 98 percent of the primarily Christian country disapproves of homosexual behavior. Homosexuality is outlawed in 37 African countries.

World Beat