A.S. appoints committee to choose representatives

Nominations to San Diego State’s Associates Student’s Judicial Affairs Council Appointments and Review Committee finished with the University Council electing three of its members to the committee Sept. 11.

The three council members elected are College of Business Administration Representative Jordan Harrison, College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts Representative Raquel Martin, and College of Engineering Representative Onochie Ani.

Harrison and Martin were elected by the council with 16 and 11 votes respectively. Ani received 12 votes in a second round after tying with College of Arts and Letters representative Cindy Lopez for nine votes each.

Before the vote was taken each nominee gave a short speech to the council, explaining their qualifications and goals.

Harrison said his position as a board member on the Aztec Shops Board of Directors and past service on The University Affairs Board make him well qualified for the position.

“… I’m working to make sure whoever is appointed to these positions is someone who’s qualified and will…make sure for the assurance of longevity and prosperity of Associated Students going forward,” Harrison said.

Martin’s goals focused on leaving a lasting influence on A.S. with her choices for appointments.

“I think I will be qualified to also meet this position because I want to assure that people that we appoint are qualified and great leaders, and I feel that being a part of A.S., I want the future of A.S. to also thrive, so I feel like I would prioritize in assuring that the leaders that we choose are going to follow along the goals that we have and expectations we have for A.S.,” Martin said.

Ani said his experience in A.S. leadership and executive roles in the Student African American Brotherhood at SDSU prepared him for the position.

“I believe that I am capable of taking on this position because first off, I hold a leadership position on A.S. and I’ve previously held (positions) within San Diego State University and on other organizations’ (executive) boards, so I know the leadership potential that students could bring to help better the wellness of this university,” he said.

Harrison, Martin and Ani will sit on the committee alongside three members elected from the Campus Life Council Sept. 4: Gabrielle Gray, Grace Diaz and Corey Polant.

The Appointments and Review Committee is responsible for announcing, interviewing and appointing student representatives to councils, boards, committees and commissions.

A.S. currently has three open positions to fill: student-at-large representative on the Board of Directors, Sustainability/Green Love Commission representative and Elections Committee chair.

Applications will be accepted Sept. 16 through Sept. 27, and interviews will be conducted Oct. 2 through Oct. 7.