Body recovered from Lake Murray possibly missing SDSU student

A body was retrieved from Lake Murray on Friday afternoon that officials believe could belong to a missing San Diego State student.

“The characteristics of the body fit the general descriptions of the missing man,” San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson said.

The search for the man began Thursday morning when a park ranger found the personal belongings of someone and a single set of footprints leading into the lake around 7:15 a.m., Swanson said.

Among the personal belongings was a wallet and ID of an 18-year-old SDSU student.

About 40 officials helped in the search, including lifeguards and park rangers, as well as personnel from the San Diego Police Department, the U.S. Coast Guard and the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

The body was recovered from the lake around 4:45 p.m. on Friday using sonar techniques, which allow sound to detect objects underwater. The body was under about 63 feet of water, Swanson said.

Police told U-T San Diego they talked to the man’s roommate and found a suicide note that referred to a lake or water. No foul play is suspected, according to police.

The body is at the medical examiner’s office, where the cause of death and identification of the body will be determined.