Political rhetoric ostracizes moderates

Since the midterm elections last November, the Republican Party has showered us with fanfare about how triumphant its return to power will be next year. Allegedly, overzealous spending will be controlled, justice will be restored and the universe will be in harmony again. But while republicans have certainly informed us of their opponents’ evil ways, the one thing that hasn’t been made clear is who they plan to heave leading our country in this glorious new era. Who will be the next “Change we can believe in?” Shockingly enough, the list of possible candidates entertaining the idea is as shallow as it is brief.

The first presidential debate of the 2012 primaries was scheduled for May 2 this year, but because of a lack of candidates ready to “commit,” the debate has been moved to Sept. 14. Although there are other debates scheduled as early as May 5, the fact remains that the list of candidates is still shallow. Where are all the heavy-hitters who promised us liberation from “Obama Nation?” Shouldn’t the republicans in Congress be anxiously waiting their chance to save the nation and become the next Ronald Reagan? No; instead they’ve developed a taste for criticizing that’s too sweet to give up.

Of course, some candidates are still “testing the waters” while others are waiting to see who the competition will be, but laying the ground work for these presidential runs seems to be taking longer than usual. To get an idea of how shallow the pool of candidates is at the moment, Donald Trump and his legendary hairpiece sit at second in the polls. Somehow, I can’t imagine his hairpiece blowing in the D.C. wind during his inaugural speech. Better stick with “The Apprentice,” Trump.

To be fair, the art of finger-pointing has been used extensively by both parties. Each is more concerned about losing credibility rather than earning it. It’s no wonder neither party can muster much more than a 30 percent approval rating. Instead of creating solutions through bipartisan agreements, each side relentlessly pushes their agenda, hoping the American people will blame the opposing party for all the problems that arise.

As the recent Middle Eastern uprisings have shown, social media sites are becoming an extremely influential way to voice opinions. Why then is our government so extensively misreprepesenting the thoughts of so many Americans? Are politicians unaware of what the public wants, or are they choosing to ignore it for the sake of their most vocal constituents (and corporations)? Does a strict adherence to the desires of their party offer better job security than adhering to public opinion?

The polarization of our political parties isn’t new, but it has accelerated at an alarming rate in these last few decades. More and more Americans find it difficult to identify with either political party because neither fully represents their beliefs. Voting in the U.S. has become a matter of guessing who is bad and who is worse. It’s of little surprise that people would replace their right to vote with the normal monotonies of the day. The argument that voting fulfills some kind a moral responsibility has lost its luster.

The truth is, the most vocal voters are often the most extreme. Sadly, these are also the people who reflect the most divisive of partisan views. For some of these people, the political world has become a sport. They pick teams and debate to “win” rather than to find solutions. Many moderates have simply given up on politics because they are unable to fit in or disgusted with the increasing political rhetoric. People with moderate viewpoints have all the power to change the country for the better. However, because of the vocal minorities, their voices are drowned out among all the partisan blathering.

As former presidential candidate John Kerry made so evident in the 2004 elections, pointing your finger doesn’t get you into office, even against one of history’s most unpopular presidents. Both parties have dramatically overlooked the importance of offering clear, reasonable solutions. The Democratic Party had the chance to do this in 2004 and now the republicans have the chance. But it feels like history is repeating itself yet again. The two-party system isn’t going away anytime soon.

– Jacob Clark is a biology and Spanish major.

Political rhetoric ostracizes moderates