World news – 4/28/2011

Syrian army quashes protests
Almost six weeks ago, pro-democracy protests broke out in Syria. Protestors are speaking out against the 11-year rule of President Bashar al-Assad. Although al-Assad has been receiving international pressure to meet the demands of protestors, troops and tanks were called in to patrol and stop protestors. It was reported that as many as 30 tanks were sent in to Deraa. According to human rights groups, approximately 450 people have been killed in the past six weeks.

Libya death toll
Officials are attempting to find a total for the death toll in Libya. In the two months since violence broke out in the country, estimates ranging from 10,000 to 30,000 have been reported, and bodies are still being uncovered. U.S. ambassador to Libya, Gene Cretz, said that with the ongoing violence, it is too difficult to pinpoint the exact number. Recently, the U.S. eased up on sanctions against Libya in order for the country to sell oil.

Americans killed by Afghan pilot
An Afghan coalition partner and military pilot opened fire on nine Americans yesterday at a Kabul airport. The violence stemmed from a disagreement with American trainers during a conference meeting. Eight of the Americans killed were U.S. soldiers, while the other was a contractor. The pilot is suspected to be Ahmad Gul from the Tarakhail district in the Kabul province. Seven similar attacks have occurred within  the last year when Afghan security forces or posing coalition members have killed Americans in Afghanistan.

–Compiled by News Editor Sarah Kovash.

World news – 4/28/2011