Student hospitalized after attending fraternity event dies

University police is investigating, and all 14 IFC-affiliated fraternity chapters have been suspended.
Alexa Oslowski

A San Diego State student who allegedly attended a fraternity event on Nov. 6 and was hospitalized the following morning has died.

SDSU President Adela de la Torre confirmed the death of 19-year-old Dylan Hernandez of Jacksonville, Florida, in an email to the university community Monday afternoon.

“It is with a heavy heart that I am writing to say that Dylan Hernandez, the student who was hospitalized last week, has passed away,” de la Torre said. “His family gave their goodbyes late Sunday night.”

SDSU Police has launched an investigation into the events surrounding Hernandez’s death after a 911 call was made from his residence call on the morning of Nov. 7.

A press release from the county medical examiner’s office said Hernandez “was found pulseless and apneic by his roommate in their dorm room.”

“(Hernandez) was transported to the Emergency Department at Alvarado Hospital,” the release said. “His death was pronounced on (Nov. 8).”

Hernandez died of “blunt force injuries (to the) head,” according to a Nov. 12 update to the medical examiner’s report. His death was ruled an accident.

There is no confirmation that alcohol played a role in his death.

Hernandez, who lived on the sixth floor of the Tenochca residence hall, was a freshman pledge in the Phi Gamma Delta, or FIJI, fraternity, said someone who lived on the same floor and spoke on the condition on anonymity.

In the wake of the investigation, de la Torre announced the suspension of all 14 IFC-related fraternity chapters.

The university has set up a webpage to provide updates regarding the investigation and services available to students.

Friends of the Hernandez family have also established a GoFundMe page to accept donations.

The university asks all to respect the privacy of the family.

This story was updated at 4:00 p.m. on Nov. 11 with information from the San Diego County medical examiner’s website.

This story was updated at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 11 with additional information about Hernandez and the fraternity chapter.

This story was updated at 5:36 p.m. on Nov. 12 with additional information from the San Diego County medical examiner’s website.

Michael Cline, Assistant News Editor
Michael Cline is a second-year graduate student in the Rhetoric and Writing Studies Department. He graduated from San Diego State in 2017 with a degree in political science. He hopes to work in public media after graduation.
Alexa Oslowski
Alexa Oslowski, Photo Editor
Alexandra Oslowski (she/her) is a 5th-year student studying journalism with a minor in art from Cameron Park, California. She is a transfer student from UC Santa Cruz and in her third year at San Diego State. She has a passion for photography, music, and writing. Alexa hopes to pursue a career in digital journalism or photojournalism. You can follow her on Twitter @AlexaROslowski.