WOA reaches past adversity

Tolerance, equality and women’s rights are a few of the topics the Womyn’s Outreach Association spreads awareness about . | Courtesy of WOA

In years past a shortage of both emotional and financial support, coupled with a lack of central leadership, has relegated The Andrea O’Donnell Womyn’s Outreach Association into a less prominent role on campus.

This year though, things are different.

While such detriments have left members and well-wishers shaking their heads in disappointment, a duo of leaders driven by absolute dedication to social justice have emerged to once again bring the group into San Diego State’s limelight.

Formerly known as the Women’s Resource Center, the WOA was founded in 1977 in the midst of the women’s liberation movement. The association’s name changed in 2009 in order to highlight the fact there was no actual “Women’s Resource Center,” and to garner support for the hamstrung organization. The WOA is currently located in the Cross-Cultural Center, located in the Cholula Community Center building, and will have a new locale in the Modern Space building at the end of its construction, which is expected in Fall 2013.

“The new women’s center in Modern Space is the long-awaited result of tireless efforts of the Womyn’s Outreach Association,” said Alicia Karagianes, the newly appointed president of WOA. “We’re very grateful to SDSU for providing a location where female students can feel safe and have access to the necessary resources that they need. “We hope the school will eventually provide staffing and counseling services as well, just as other competing schools have provided for their students.” Other notable changes to the group’s title were “Womyn’s” and “Andrea O’ Donnell.”

The former, obviously and intentionally misspelled title, serves to represent a liberation from preexisting stigmas against women, most notoriously the notion that the gender as a whole is inferior and subservient to men. As such, “men” was removed from the organization’s title in its 2009 name change.

“We definitely don’t hate men,” Vice President of WOA Michelle Godfrey said. “We love our male members and any man that identifies himself as a social justice advocate.”

Godfrey said WOA aims to support all women on campus and to actively educate the female student population about social issues in education, advocacy and activism. She also described the adversity the group has faced in regard to amassing members.

“It’s difficult to get someone to believe in something that carries such a negative connotation,” she said. “Feminists have been portrayed as man-haters and lesbians, and it’s completely untrue. Feminism is all-encompassing, it’s a movement that seeks to end not only gender inequality, but all forms of social injustice.”

The association chose to honor O’Donnell, a former SDSU student who led the organization in the ‘90s before being murdered by her abusive boyfriend.

“No matter how strong, educated or powerful (women) are, they can still be subjected to abuse and Andrea O’Donnell was an example of that,” Godfrey said. “We chose to name the organization after her to remind others of her story.”

During the next school year the WOA, pronounced “whoa-uh,” is looking to increase its membership numbers and extend its message of tolerance and equality to a significantly larger crowd than it has in past years.

“If you’re looking for an organization to join, look no further,” Godfrey said. “The Womyn’s Outreach Association is looking for new members to help achieve our goal of empowering the female student population of SDSU.”

According to Godfrey, people who join the organization can help raise campus awareness regarding issues affecting women, the LGBTQ movement and marginalized communities by participating in and planning events.

“(You can) build character and lifelong friendships while learning and improving upon leadership skills through activism,” she said. “Being a WOA member looks great on your résumé.”

Students interested in joining the WOA can do so by attending one of three upcoming orientations. The first two will be held at the Cholula Community Center, located on 5400 Remington Rd. These meetings will take place from 4 to 5 p.m. today, and from 8 to 9 p.m. on Thursday. The third and final orientation will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. on Friday at the Tenochca TV lounge located at 6050 Montezuma Rd.

Students can RSVP for an orientation by emailing aodwoa@gmail.com and the organization can be found online at facebook.com/woasdsu.

WOA reaches past adversity