Swim team drowned out by competition

It was a rough weekend in the water.

The San Diego State women’s swimming team battled against 17 other schools including powerhouses like UCLA and UC Berkeley, and the University of Nevada at the invitational meet in Irvine this past weekend.

In the meet those teams put up 1585, 1169 and 805 points respectively.

“We knew it would be fast,” SDSU head coach Deena Deardurff-Schmidt said. “Going in we didn’t know about the other schools.”

However, that is the way it is with these invitational meets, according to Deardurff-Schmidt.

The Aztecs put up only 197 points in this meet, giving them a 13th place finish.

The highest finish for the red and black all weekend was seventh by sophomore Courtney Hoblick in the 200-meter breaststroke. Her time was 2:22.98. The winner of the 61 racer field, Lindsey Kitter from UCLA had a time of 2:15.97.

In the 200 butterfly sophomore Angela Temple and freshman Linsey Lerable finished 23rd and 32nd respectively, with times of 2:12.33 and 2:15.83.

Western Athletic Conference opponent Sarah McKeever, from Brigham Young University, won the butterfly event with a time of 2:04.22.

The Aztecs don’t face the Cougars during the season, but will mostly likely meet up with them in the WAC finals at the end of the year. BYU finsihed fourth with 619.5 points.

“We are not even in that league right now,” Deardurff-Schmidt said regarding her first look at the Cougars. “We have some people who are competitive right now.

“Swimming is like track. You need to build yourself up individualy. But it will take years to build a team of 18 people at that level.”

The other individual event SDSU competeted in was the 100 freestyle event. Graduate student Amy Clocksin and senior Lisa Turner took part in the 102 field race.

Clocksin finished 57th with a time of 55.41 and Turner was 73rd with a finish of 56.21.

“We hung in there,” Deardurff-Schmidtt said. “Everyone swam in the finals. It was important for us to see how fast everyone swam.”

In the 400 freestyle relay the Aztec team of Clocksin, Turner, Hoblick and Lerable finished 14th with a time of 3:39.91.

“It was a good experience,” Deardurff-Schmidt said. “That is why we went, to see how we matched up.”

Swim team drowned out by competition