UNSIGNED BANDS 2010: River City

Jeff Lewis / Staff Photographer

SOUNDS LIKE: Bright Eyes, Nickel Creek

LOCATION: San Diego

WEBSITE: www.myspace.com/rivercitytheband

Listing its influences as “an open flask and an outstretched hand” on MySpace, the five local lads in River City are on a mission to bring the sounds of Americana into the limelight of the San Diego music scene. Comprised of Jon Kruger (vocals, guitar and harmonica), Andrew Armerding (banjo, guitar, bass and vocals), Chad Pittman (piano, keyboard, bass and vocals), Duke Ivy (drums, washboard, tambourine and vocals) and Ryan Tannascoll (mandolin), this band works its collective tail off to produce the abundance of danceable folk / country music that currently attracts so many people to its shows.

Front man and bowler hat aficionado Kruger emphasizes River City’s desire to promote local music. “We also make an effort to organize shows with other bands that we all really enjoy, such as the talented John Meeks, The Western Set and a whole host of other really great San Diego bands. We feel that creating an entire night of music where audience members can be exposed to other bands they may have not seen before is a great way to share exposure and create a greater sense of community within the music scene.”

The music community is grateful for this, and last year River City was nominated for Best Americana or Country band at the San Diego Music Awards. For anyone who cringes when they hear the “c” word, don’t fret; this country music is not of the “I’ve got girl trouble and someone stole my truck and ran over my dog with it” variety.

“We focus a lot of our time and attention on making our live performances fun and full of energy,” Kruger said. “We try and create an atmosphere where audience members can throw off the shackles of shyness and join in with some rowdy foot stomping dancin’.”

As of this moment, the best way to listen to River City’s rip-roarin’ music is to either check out its MySpace or one of its awesome concerts. Luckily, River City is currently working on its first full-length album, scheduled for release in the next few months. Also, the band is currently dabbling in the art of animation to create a music video for the song “Bring Me Home,” from its forthcoming album.

Go grab some street cred and see this band before it hits the big time. The next show is at 9 p.m. this Saturday at Tin Can Ale House. For more information, or to see the band’s killer artwork or find show times, check out River City’s MySpace page.

UNSIGNED BANDS 2010: River City