UNSIGNED BANDS 2010: Main Flow

Courtesy of Erika Cueva

SOUNDS LIKE: Planet Asia, Murs

LOCATION: San Diego

WEBSITE: www.wannabattle.com

In various comment sections of websites across the Internet, Main Flow has been described as “slept on” time and time again. But it is only a matter of time until he gets the type of recognition he deserves from the masses.

Underground rapper Main Flow is a San Diego transplant originally from Cincinnati. Flow came to America’s Finest City with professional skateboarder Rob Dyrdek several years ago and worked with him on Dyrdek’s record label P-Jays Unda-Pendent Hip-Hop Recordings. They later parted ways to pursue their own careers.

Main Flow’s first experience in the music world began with his membership in the group Mood with fellow rappers MC Donte and record producer Jahson. During the late “90s Mood worked with a young Talib Kweli and his producer Hi-Tek.

Main Flow has since branched off and has collaborated with many more well-known artists including Black Thought of The Roots, Killah Priest associated with Wu Tang Clan and Talib Kweli. In 2006, Flow’s album “Featuring: Main Flow” was released, showcasing various tracks in which Kweli appeared.

Main Flow doesn’t rely on his association with famous artists to get ahead. He prefers a more controlled approach, utilizing his own hard work to propel his career.

“I’m a rapper athlete,” he said. “I treat myself with the same kind of discipline as a professional sports player … I do what I do and I study my craft.”

His latest album, “Return of the Castle,” has been two years in the making. Final touches are still being made and the release date is scheduled for some time next month. With “Return of the Castle,” Flow is more concerned about quality than quantity. According to him, it will be released “boutique style” in limited quantities. “I want this to be small in a large way,” he said. Most importantly, Flow is hoping to get proper recognition for “Return of the Castle.”

His attitude toward his music career is simple and more importantly, fundamental. “Your time will come around,” he said. “You just gotta focus on making good music.”

As time has gone on, Main Flow’s style has progressed as well, earning him fans from all across the world. From Bogotá, Columbia to Greece and even Venezuela, Main Flow has performed in several countries around the globe. But when it comes to recognition in the U.S., things are a little different.

Flow doesn’t have a problem being described as “slept on.” On the contrary, in fact. “I like being “slept on’ because that means I can still go to the top. Some people are already at the top and they’re already coming down.” It is only a matter of time before this hip-hop giant is awakened.

UNSIGNED BANDS 2010: Main Flow