SNEAK PEEK: Make sure to bring an extra pair of pants

Courtesy of Sub Pop

In the abyss of contemporary music, there are bands that are often overlooked despite the quality and passion that is created. This is usually because of an unwillingness to conform to mainstream standards. This is also considered a positive and revered ideal for true music lovers.

One such band that has not broken out into the pretentiously clichéd sound is Pissed Jeans.

Hailing from Allentown, Penn., Pissed Jeans is a four-person noise-punk band that will soon release its third full-length album, “King of Jeans” under the respected Sub Pop label on Aug. 18. This will hopefully make fans urinate themselves this Sunday at San Diego’s legendary venue, The Casbah. The Daily Aztec had a chance to chat with lead vocalist Matt Korvette on Pissed Jeans’ upcoming tour, San Diego attire and who really peed themselves to inspire the band’s name.

The Daily Aztec:
    Are you excited to be performing in San Diego next week? Anything special you want to do down here?

Matt Korvette: Yes, very. I’d love to go to the beach. I’ll probably wear some shorts.

DA:
    Is that a new thing for you?

MK: It’s a summertime thing. I don’t know how you do in San Diego, but I’ll be wearing some shorts. You won’t see me wearing flip-flops though. That’d kill the image right there. As far as you’re concerned, I wear boots to sleep.

DA: Yes, I don’t think I could look at you knowing that you put your feet in rubber thongs. Your second album, “Hope For Men,” broke my Pissed Jeans cherry. It’s sound is so heavy with noisy vocals, yet captured the mundane life that people are accustomed to, which I love. Which album was the most fun to create?

MK:
    I enjoy doing them all really. I guess the last one was the most fun, just because it was most recent and I like the songs the most. I love going to the studio and making songs, it’s a fun process.

DA: “King Of Jeans,” your most recent album, is the perfect third helping for Pissed Jeans. And it’s bassist Randy Huth’s first album to collaborate on, right? Any notable differences or directions you subtly took?

MK:
    I think it sounds pretty similar. The songs are put together a bit better. A little more effort in creating the final song. Randy is a great bassist so he adds a lot with his personal style. There’s not really stories involved, we just try to make good songs.

DA: So … Allentown, tell me about this far- away place? Any influence for your songs come from there?

MK: I haven’t lived there in a while. I live in Philadelphia now. Allentown is all right. It’s a little economically depressed, so I’m glad I’m living in Philadelphia now. But every day, where I’m at and what I’m doing, ideas will pop in.

DA: Your lyrics are so fun to listen to. I bet they are even more fun to perform. As the singer, do you do anything to prepare your throat for all the screaming?

MK: No, but I probably should though. Earlier this week I went to a water park and I was in an enclosed tube and it’s so fun to scream inside. I had a sore throat by the end, so I was a little worried. But San Diego is our second show, so I’ll be fine by then.

DA: Be honest. Who’s the champion who pissed in their jeans?

MK: There have been people since we had the name. We’ve had guys come up to us and be like “Hey, man. I’ll piss my jeans to get a free T-shirt.’ And we’re like, “No man, don’t piss your jeans. We’ll just give you a free T-shirt.’ No, none of us, though, have done it that I know of recently.

Fair enough. Don’t miss these guys at 8:30 p.m. this Sunday at The Casbah, performing with Rats Eyes and Bumbklaat.