LIVE AND DANGEROUS: San Diego Music Awards low key, unlike Video Music Awards

Anya Moberly / Tempo Editor

Two awards ceremonies of note occurred last weekend. The 19th Annual San Diego Music Awards occurred on Thursday in Alpine, hosting not only an array of local musicians but also non-performing music industry dignitaries. The 2009 MTV Video Music Awards aired live on Sunday night in New York City to many more high-profile celebrities and much more low-class drama. Sure, it would have been nice to see a bleeding Lady Gaga perform while sitting next to Lauren Conrad, but here are some reasons why attending the SDMAs was far more worthwhile.

1. The SDMAs is founded on a good cause: The San Diego Music Foundation and Taylor Guitars have worked together to create the Taylor Guitars For Schools program, which has donated Taylor guitars to more than 56 schools in San Diego County to promote education with guitars in music programs. While the San Diego youth arts departments are slowly being cut from existence, programs such as the Taylor Guitars for Schools maintain a creative outlet for lower education public schools, further making music important in the lives of thousands of children.

2. The intimate setting had it’s perks: Nestled in the backyard of the Viejas Outlet Center, the SDMAs was personally enjoyable for those sitting in the center tables on the lawn or those mingling with the local talent. In between the award-giving, performances by Scarlet Symphony, Silent Comedy, Get Back Loretta, Players Inc. featuring members of Slightly Stoopid, Burning of Rome and The San Diego Blues All Stars with Steph Johnson were comfortably informal, making those in attendance feel the aural vibe that much more.

There was no backstage, so there were countless opportunities to stop and chat with anyone from the Lifetime Achievement Award winner, The Zeros, to local radio personalities Tim Pyles and Michael Halloran. There’s nothing like running into winner of Best Hip Hop, MC Flow, in the bathroom to spice up any awards ceremony. We’re all friends here in San Diego.

3. Kanye West was more than 2,500 miles away: The absurdity of this performer is so awfully over-indulgent and disgusting, it’s a surprise he still gets applause during appearances. No one stole anyone’s thunder last week in San Diego. No one took the microphone from an award winner during their acceptance speech. And no one was toting a bottle of Hennessy around with them like a baby bottle.

Well, there it is. One weekend, two award ceremonies, two coasts and enough musical recognition to last until next year’s tradition. For a full list of this year’s SDMA winners, check out www.sandiegomusicawards.com.